Newcastle Maker Faire 2010

Off topic discussions that do not fit into any of the above can go here. Please keep it clean and respectful.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I've added index pages with thumbnails. I'll be adding captions over the next couple of days.

http://www.leonheller.com/Maker%20Faire%202010/

http://www.leonheller.com/MakerFaire%202010%20(2)/

TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

Leon, thanks for posting the pics
johanar

Post by johanar »

Looks like you had a great time! Wish there was something similar of that size here in my hometown..
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

That was the first Maker Faire outside the USA. It was held at the same time as the 10 day ScienceFest, which helped a lot. They might happen in other countries, now, after the success of the one in Newcastle.

There were lots of young kids there, but very few teenagers, which I found intriguing. It was probably because the younger kids got taken by their parents, whilst the teenagers wouldn't be seen dead going out with them, and would have had to spend their own money to get in.
johanar

Post by johanar »

Maybe they should try to make some deals with the schools in the area, so a group of interested teenagers could go with a teacher during the day and maybe get some kind of discount.
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

leon_heller wrote: There were lots of young kids there, but very few teenagers, which I found intriguing. It was probably because the younger kids got taken by their parents, whilst the teenagers wouldn't be seen dead going out with them, and would have had to spend their own money to get in.
I agree with you about teenagers not being seen dead with their parents at such an event, but of those kids who did go I don't think I saw a single kid, young or old who wasn't enjoying themselves.

My kids, who are almost teenagers, were typical - they were dragging their heels as we left our parked car, totally sure they weren't going to have a good time as we walked towards the Centre of Life.

Walking up the foot bridge to mezzanine level of the maker faire, you could hear the crackling of the musical tesla coil, then as you reached the mezzanine level you were hit by a wall of sound from the various gadgets and things beeping and booping, the musically exhibits being played and of course the Tesla coil. Their faces slowly changed as they realised there was fun stuff here and after a couple of nervous minutes getting their bearings off they went and for the rest of the day it was like trying to herd cats. :D
johanar wrote:Maybe they should try to make some deals with the schools in the area, so a group of interested teenagers could go with a teacher during the day and maybe get some kind of discount.
That would a good idea, but IMO the people running Maker Faire didn't promote or publicise it very well, they seem to rely on word of mouth via forums etc.
otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

nice BBC report about this event:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8586675.stm