Useful development tools...

Off topic discussions that do not fit into any of the above can go here. Please keep it clean and respectful.
paul
XCore Addict

Useful development tools...

Post by paul »

Having useful analysis and debugging tools around is always a bonus... I had the Open Workbench Logic Sniffer arrive the other day. It is pretty cool, cheap and functional for only US$45 shipped.

I have done a quick little write up of my first impressions of it here

Anyone else got useful & cheap (sadly not all of use can afford $n000 scopes :( )tools like this that they regularly use (or have used and would recommend) to debug things?

Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

Your link doesn't work.

The Microchip PICkit2 programmer/debugger costs $35 and can be used as a three channel USB logic analyser. I've tried it and it does work. Cheaper clones are available on Ebay.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Definitely interested in the review Paul the link isn't working (domain name issue) as Leon has stated. I remember seeing this when Dangerous prototypes announced it and have thought about buying one.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I found the web page:

http://www.silly-science.co.uk/2010/05/ ... pressions/

It's actually based on the sump.org logic analyser for the Digilent Xilinx Spartan 3 board which I've got.
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Yeah i used the PICkit2 a lot as a logic analyzer. It reminds me to get the XLogic project done tho. Since it could turn any xmos devboard in to a multipurpose logic tool. It also has advantages in being able to probe a channel end when run on the same board as your app. But yeah its far from done.

Oh and anybody tryed the Salae logic analyzer? I seen it quite a few times around.
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

Odd the link doesn't work - I can't replicate that here! :?

@Berni - i thought about your project when I got this - I was wondering if you could base the interface on the SUMP interface and then you don't have to put the effort into writing your own client?
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Thing is that a lot of features are planned for it along side of the logic analyzer. The one id like to have the most is a serial comm tool to serve as a terminal or spy on traffic on different protocols, thinking of also implementing some scripting to allow it to play around with various digital devices.

Its generally planned to be a universal tool for working with digital electronics. Meaby later a analog front end will be made on it too for some analog stuff too .DSO scope with a logic analyzer running simultaneously is not that bad. If it includes a DAC too it could make it a signal generator on steroids, along with some special measurements of frequency response, LCR... itd that a fast ADC+DAC make possible. But yeah thats meaby for later, first its planed to be digital only.

Meaby someone can make it in to something like the BusPirate, since the xmos chip could make it do stuff the PIC on that thing could only dream of.(The single core device is cheep too)
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

Berni wrote:Thing is that a lot of features are planned for it along side of the logic analyzer. The one id like to have the most is a serial comm tool to serve as a terminal or spy on traffic on different protocols, thinking of also implementing some scripting to allow it to play around with various digital devices.
Meaby someone can make it in to something like the BusPirate, since the xmos chip could make it do stuff the PIC on that thing could only dream of.(The single core device is cheep too)
Yes a XS1-L1 or XS1-L2 would make a great choice for BusPirate controller.