Hello All

First time on the site? Say hello here!
AtomSoft
XCore Addict

Hello All

Post by AtomSoft »

My name is Jason Lopez (25 Years Old), I'm a Electronic Engineer (BA) student at Devry in NYC. I have done a lot of work with PIC micro controllers and still do. I have some experience in a lot of fields. I have done some:

Electrician Work
Carpentry

Embeded Design using:
8Bit = PIC16F, PIC18F, dsPIC, AVR
16/32bit = ARM7 (NXP LPC2148)

I have only been working on MCU type devices for about a year or 2 now. Spending about 1-3 days a week on it as a hobby, for now at least.

I came here because i want to have a alternative to PIC & AVR Micros. I dont use ARM much...

I still plan on using PICs a lot in smaller work. But i do want the option of something faster and smoother.

I just love the way you can stack these together and form a somewhat community of ICs which can communicate with each other to perform task. It really simplifies the code i would think.
I currently dont own a XMOS but plan to order one this week.

If you can point me to a recommended reseller (online link is fine) and recommend some choices and documentation to read ill be greatful.

I can be found on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/AtomSoft
Also on ElectroTech Forums: http://www.electro-tech-online.com/

You can check out all my work from those 2 links. The good news is when i learn something and have a good enough understanding i dont keep it to myself, meaning i am a open source guy. If i make something and you like it ill gladly share my source to the public.

Anyway this can go on forever, so glad to be here and great site!

jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Thanks for the kind words, and it is great to have you with us! You have some nice videos on YouTube too.

As for buying XMOS products please check out the XMOS online store. There are also links to buy from DigiKey if you prefer on the store page.

If you have questions feel free to post, I am sure many people can tell you about their experiences transferring from some other platform to XMOS.

Have fun on XCore!
AtomSoft
XCore Addict

Post by AtomSoft »

Wow thanks for the quick response and Link to the store. Ill be sure to make my purchases from there as i tend to try to buy first time items from the actual creator.

Thanks for the youtube comment also.... XMOS will surely come in handy i bet. As soon as i receive it ill be sure to make something.. anything ... to show it off a bit heh
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Do let us know how that goes and share it with us! It is always nice to see what people are up to. Good luck with your first XMOS experience! What are you thinking of buying?
AtomSoft
XCore Addict

Post by AtomSoft »

I was thinking about the: XC-1 Development Kit

But noticed the package heh : 512BGA Package

I am no expert in BGA and have no experience in oven solder techniques heh.
So i think ill go with the : XK-1 Development Kit.

Who knows maybe ill take a PIC or XMOS and create a solution for BGA oven backing aka turning a normal toaster oven into a SMD(BGA) oven for createing custom boards... who knows...

So ill try out the XK-1 Development Kit for now... hopefully i get paid today and order it today..

also i might just add on that book: The XMOS XS1 Architecture

Just to make sure i dont get lost to fast heh
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

The processor is already soldered on. You don't need to do that. The XC1 is a ready to go board so to speak, with lots of IO exposed so you can solder on your own modules.

However, the XK1 is also fun, and you can connect many XK1's together, which is very cool. It depends what you want to use it for really.
AtomSoft
XCore Addict

Post by AtomSoft »

I meant to say for instance... If i get asked to create a device for someone... (which i do often) and it requires 1x XC-1, im not going to buy the dev board again to use it for that since it cost $99. I would buy the actual chip itself for US$ 31.30 (at 2+) and use that. Since i would most likely be creating my own PCB.
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Ah ok. Yes in that case the L1 processor is a lot easier to solder, although you will still need a steady hand!
AtomSoft
XCore Addict

Post by AtomSoft »

yeah thats true... but that is where i have some experience at least.

At this moment im eating lunch and reading: The XMOS XS1 Architecture PDF so ill have at least some knowledge before diving in to this.
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Hi there, i know you from electrotech forums (Im Someone Electro there)

Oh and you can try your self at XC a bit inside the simulator that comes with the development tools.