Dual In-line Adaptor Board?

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
jonathan
Respected Member

Dual In-line Adaptor Board?

Post by jonathan »

Is anyone interested in producing a dual in-line adaptor board for one of the XMOS chips? Would it be of interest to anyone? This might help with some rapid prototyping, as well as potentially opening up the chips to an audience of software engineers who might prefer to limit their exposure to a soldering iron.

Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Weren't there a couple of stamp like designs discussed on the old linkers forums, I think Omer had one design although not sure it was finished. If either of these were suitable perhaps they could be built upon?
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I just dug out one of my partly completed designs for a DIL-40 module. It was based on the XS1-G4-144, but it would make sense to use an XS1-L1-64 instead. I have a schematic of a board I was working on that uses the latter device, and it could easily be adapted for a DIL-40 module. I can't attach a PDF, so I've uploaded the file to my web site:

http://www.leonheller.com/XMOS/Proto.pdf

The GIF of the earlier effort did attach OK.

Leon
Attachments
XStamp.gif
(35.59 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
XStamp.gif
(35.59 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by leon_heller on Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

One thing that might be handy is to have onboard mini usb programming interface given the size constraints. This would act as the JTAG/usb bridge like the XC-5 as there would not be room for a regular XTAG2/XSYS header. This would also make prototyping simpler and easier for newcomers.

I agree with Leon although a XS1-G4 144BGA would be nice, the DIP constraints lean toward an XS1-L1 64LQFP, as would pricing
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

I shall look into the forum attachments tomorrow morning... my bad.
russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

I just asked how to get a design produced at Sparkfun. The response was quick.. below.

So if Leon's schematic could be finalized, I think it's worth emailing to Jim at Sparkfun, to see if they would take it on. The nice part of Sparkfun is the enormous traffic they generate, in the hobby/integrator community. They product their own boards, and listen to their users.

Thanks for sharing the design, Leon.

--r
Hey Russ,

You can submit the product to us. SparkFun is continually furthering and diversifying its catalog, and we'd be happy to have a look.

Best Regards,
-Jim

Technical Support
SparkFun Electronics
techsupport@sparkfun.com
303-284-0979
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I'd rather get them made and sell them myself. SFE wants 30% of the selling price, which would push the cost up. I'll finish the design off and post it for comments. I can then get a couple of prototypes made.

Leon
Last edited by leon_heller on Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

leon_heller wrote:I'd rather sell them myself. SFE wants 30% of the selling price, which would push the cost up.

Leon
Leon - are you interested in making them and selling them here then?
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

Initially, that would make sense.

Leon
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

i find a dip socket a very nice idea since it allows you to quickly prototype something on a breadboard.

Hmm yeah the XTAG programming connector could be a problem.How about you put a tiny smd connector on it and then provide a cable that has that tiny connector on one side and a normal male xtag on the other. You could minimize the number of pins on the smd connector to make it even smaller(most pins in XTAG are not needed for program/debug)