Make RGB LED Display with xc-3 kit more Economical

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
jagspaul
Experienced Member

Post by jagspaul »

Thanks to phalt to show me the right way of writing code on post.

Any ways,
Finally I have removed the eth_switch and one pkt_buff thread completely. I use two threads mii_main & eth_server from main function and that two threads are connected with two streaming channels for both way data transfer.
Mac filter has not implemented properly. Actually I am very much confuse for where to implement the mac filter. I want it in mii_rx_buf(..) function but here no mac information is present. ethServer(…) function has mac & IP addr ready.

Please give your opinion & go through the following reference below & tell me is it ok or you need some different approach.

Code: Select all

Main.xc
----------
par
  {
    // Threads constrained by I/O or latency requirements

on stdcore[2]: miimain(c_mii_client_0,  c_mii_tx_0,
            clk_mii_rx_0, p_mii_rxclk_0, p_mii_rxd_0, p_mii_rxdv_0, p_mii_rxer_0,
            clk_mii_tx_0, p_mii_txclk_0, p_mii_txd_0, p_mii_txen_0,
            clk_mii_ref, clk_smi, p_smi_mdc_0, p_smi_mdio_0,  p_mii_resetn
                    );

on stdcore[0]: leddrive(c_led_data_out, c_led_cmds_out,
        p_led_out_r0, p_led_out_g0, p_led_out_b0, p_led_out_r1, p_led_out_g1, p_led_out_b1,
        p_led_out_addr, p_led_out_clk , p_led_out_ltch, p_led_out_oe ,
        b_led_clk, b_led_data, b_led_gsclk, b_ref);
    on stdcore[0]: spiFlash(cSpiFlash, p_flash_miso, p_flash_ss, p_flash_clk, p_flash_mosi, b_flash_clk, b_flash_data);

// Unconstrained threads

on stdcore[2]: ethServer(c_mii_client_0, c_mii_tx_0, c_led_data_in, c_led_cmds_in, cSpiFlash);

on stdcore[2]: ledbuffer(c_led_data_in, c_led_data_out);

on stdcore[2]: pktbuffer(c_led_cmds_in, c_led_cmds_out);

}
thanks
jags

jagspaul
Experienced Member

Post by jagspaul »

Hi Maia,
What about your progress on LED Tile?
Have you build your RGB LED module?
After migrating the 4 core program to 2 core, I come to the conclusion that it is quite possible to build a 64x64 RGB LED Tile (with HW PWM LED driver module) with a single L1 chip.

jags
jsmaia

Post by jsmaia »

Hi,
I just finished the design of the board and send it to a local company to quote. It´s a 16x8 RGB pixels, 1/8 scan.
Could you all please comment the design?
Regards,
Maia

Board:
leds_16x8 _DM631_sch.pdf
Schematic:
leds_16x8 _DM631_brd.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

HI Maia

You can add files/uploads directly here on Xcore when you post (scroll down to upload attachment) rather than using some dubious file upload storage service. (Especially if you want folks to look over your trusted files)
I have amended your post to use Xcore's attachment feature, hope this helps in future :-)

regards
Al
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Which driver chips you are using?

You might want to increase the thickness of those LED drive tracks especially the column drivers.

Not sure what's going on with SV2 why not use 2 screw terminals rather than a 10 pin header/IDC for power.
Or is this some sort of column carry over?

regards
Al
jsmaia

Post by jsmaia »

Hi Al,
Thank you for correcting the attachments. I'm using DM631 from SITI because I have some here. Its pinout is almost the same of MBI5031. I think the peak current in each column track wil be about 140mA (140mA in 1/8 duty cicle PWM = 20 mA average). Correct? Do you think 24 mils is not enough?
Good idea to change the power connector. I'll do it.

Best regards,
Maia
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

I'm probably misunderstanding the scanning/multiplexing, I was assuming up to 48 LEDs could be on at any given time (peak) .

regards
Al
jagspaul
Experienced Member

Post by jagspaul »

I was thinking why you used three individual SMD leds arrange vertically to form a pixel instead a single three in one SMD. Will it give same performance like three in one LED?

Now I have got my answer after watching a video wall made by same type of LED module. That was really looking excellent.

I really want to build but I need some more information like Part number source & price of the leds & FET

For your design I can suggest you to make the keep out layer so perfect measurement so that module can be cascaded in X-Y direction ti make large size display. Also module to module power & signal daisy chain connection mast be provided.

jags
jsmaia

Post by jsmaia »

Hi,
I am not using 3 leds/pixel. I am using 1 5050 SMD RGB led per pixel.
The LEDs I bought from: http://www.hyledchina.com/

The drivers are DM631 from SITI. http://www.siti.com.tw/product/product6_en.html

I made some changes in the board.
SCH V2.0
leds_16x8 _DM631_sch_v2.pdf
BRD V2.0
leds_16x8 _DM631_brd_v2.pdf
Waiting for comments. :roll:
Regards,
Maia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jagspaul
Experienced Member

Post by jagspaul »

where is signal output connector which is required for connect multiple module in a daisy chain.

jags