Energy Monitoring

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
paul
XCore Addict

Energy Monitoring

Post by paul »

Version: 0.1
License: BSD

My thought is to use my XC-3 (or maybe get an XC-2) to connect to an energy monitor receiver – or hack/make a receiver and then push the data somewhere useful via Ethernet. In fact I could combine it with my network monitor, ditch the screen and have it push the all the different types of data out into some nice pretty graphs. Anyway, enough brain dump – onto the hardware!
My proposal is to use a Current Cost Envi (CC128) device. There is a helpful CC128 write up from dale lane. It has several nice features:
- The receiver has a RS232 output

- The receiver outputs XML from the RS232

- The system has support for up to 9 individual appliance monitoring (IAMs)
Some thoughts on software/graphing features:
- Display a comprehensive history (device can output real-time, or 2hr block data)

- Calculate some averages (particularly for time of day, month, season)

- Plot electricity use vs. temperature? – the relationship should be pretty obvious… but I like pretty graphs

- Plot the electricity generation stats and calculate my carbon footprint (ooh err!) – see Amee

- Could even add some X10 stuff in there to… the possibilities are endless
Updates primarily on http://www.silly-science.co.uk/category ... g-projects

Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

This is great. There are one or two projects like this that have been hacked together using Arduinos etc. I like the idea of the device being network-attached. Browser interface is much more friendly. Would be nice to do as much as possible wirelessly too.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

You seem to be building up a bit of momentum on http://silly-science.co.uk - nice work.
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

Energy monitoring, great project for energy conscious platforms and projects.
checked out, silly-science, very nice. I'll peruse the site for sure. environmental
ecologic applications are definitely a hot commodity with the current global status.
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

see Silly Science Energy Monitoring Category
Development updates will go there primarily. It is progressing... have XML out of the UART now!
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

I'm working on some environmental sensors, some LED lighting, a controller, based on XC-2 and a server-side for something very similar.

I'd like to know more about what you are planning. Is this a 'fun' project, or is there a business plan behind it? Are you interested in collaboration.

My sensors are Maxim 1-wire based: Temp, humidity, light, motion, and 'is_power_to_unit'.

--r