Next Release

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
jonathan
Respected Member

Next Release

Post by jonathan »

When is the next tools release?

lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

And will it be a large one, like 10.0 ?

And may I hope for a nice solutions for firmware-update without the need of XTAG2 or FTDI-chips if you deploy a XMOS solution in a mass-produced product, like a general one for USB or ethernet ?
(Even my Weller Soldering station can be updated over USB :geek: )

We know that the timing analyser will be improved and hopefully all new win7 drivers and x64 driver will be distributed in the next realease.

Personally I'm also hoping for a virtual port driver on the host over the XTAG2, like the COM driver for the FTDI chip but with USB2.0 speed that supports multi-channel communication. With the XMOS streaming channel concept it would be so easy to observe realtime systems. Just add a channel with a channel end on the XTAG.
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

I don't know. Now that the LS series are faster.
Maybe such release when new G series is released.
That could be 6 months, or sooner. At 9.9.2 its
close to ten. Xmos doesn't appear to leak, we can only
speculate. Like i didn't see the Idock thing even coming.
I hope its Big as in X as in 10.
richard
Respected Member

Post by richard »

We don't usually comment on upcoming release dates. We have an internal date we are working towards but it is not set in stone.

There seems to be some confusion about version numbers. This is understandable as I'm not sure if they been explained anywhere properly. Major versions are named after the year and month they are released. For example 9.7.0 was released in 07/2009. The last digit is used for minor revisions of a major release (for example 9.7.1). Changes in minor revisions are normally restricted to bugfixes. Major versions introduce new features.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

I don't know why anyone cares about numbers. The only thing that matters in "releases" is which particular bugs get fixed. I only wanted a date because I am waiting on the next tools release. There are bugs literally blocking progress.
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

jonathan wrote:I don't know why anyone cares about numbers. The only thing that matters in "releases" is which particular bugs get fixed.
I find them useful for knowing which is the latest and which one some of my v.old projects build with ;)
jonathan wrote:There are bugs literally blocking progress.
Are XMOS aware of these? If you have bugs then please make sure you put in support tickets so XMOS can take note of them.

Thanks!
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

paul wrote:
jonathan wrote:There are bugs literally blocking progress.
Are XMOS aware of these? If you have bugs then please make sure you put in support tickets so XMOS can take note of them.
Yes. There is a ticket which has been open for 5 weeks. As yet, no fix, no indication of what the bug even is or how to fix it, no workaround, and no solution date - "hopefully in the next tools release" is the best I have.