XMOS 10.4 -- xrun: No available devices

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
tank_zinatra

XMOS 10.4 -- xrun: No available devices

Post by tank_zinatra »

Hi,

So I downloaded the newest version of the Development Tools (10.4) and after running a project once, I get the following error:

'xrun: No available devices'

So, I have to unplug the USB before my XC-1A is recognized again.

Does anyone have this problem? I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.3

Thanks!

david

leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I don't have any problems using an XC-1 or XK-1 with Win7 x64. :)
JohnR
Experienced Member

Post by JohnR »

'xrun: No available devices'

So, I have to unplug the USB before my XC-1A is recognized again.
The same happens with my XK-1 - I had assumed that this was normal?
After unplugging I usually wait a few seconds, plug in again, wait a few more seconds before clicking on the run or debug icons, otherwise get an error message. I had assumed that the delay was to allow Windows to recognise the USB connection.

It would be nice not to have to go through this routine!

John
tank_zinatra

Post by tank_zinatra »

Interesting comments everyone. Glad to hear I'm not alone.
tank_zinatra

Post by tank_zinatra »

btw John, I've noticed that if I hit the Terminate button in the console dialog, the problem goes away.
JohnR
Experienced Member

Post by JohnR »

Hi,

Is there any documentation for the Run I/O.... and Terminate.... check controls on
the Run/Debug configuration screens in the latest IDE?

I am having intermittent problems with downloading from the IDE to my XK-1 board
via the XTAG2 board. Sometimes (usually?) the XTAG2 board is not recognized and I have to
unplug the USB connector, wait a few seconds, plug it back in, wait a few seconds, check
in the Run dialog that the USB has been recognised and then press Run. Moreoften than not,
there is no USB entry, clicking on the Refresh List button does not help and I go through
the whole process again. Other times there is no problem.

I have noticed that the XTAG2 is never listed in the Windows Device Manager.

Any help is appreciated.

John
JohnR
Experienced Member

Post by JohnR »

Hi,

I was wrong about JTAG2 USB not being shown in Device Manager - it is under the heading LibUSB_Win32 not under the USB devices heading.

However, I am still having all sorts of problems downloading from the IDE to the XK_1 board. Almost arbritarily,
I get messages such as

xrun: no available device

or

xrun: problem in connecting to device

Sometimes everything works but I cannot find out what is the magic sequence to reliably download an .xe file

Device Manager always reports promptly the presence/absence of the XTAG card but the IDE more often than not does not seem to recognise the card and when it does more often than not one of the error messages above are displayed when I hit the Run button on the Run Configuration screen.

I would really appreciate help on this as I feel I am wasting a lot of time with this problem.

Thanks in advance

John.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

I tend to use the command line and Emacs rather than the XIDE so my situation may be slightly different. I do however often get similar problems with my XK1 + XTAG2 but haven't concentrated enough to resolve it. I often just unplug and re-plug. It may be related to having it run code that has freezing errors in it or code that doesn't terminate, particularly using the

Code: Select all

xrun --id 0 --io bin.xe
command arguments which waits for STDIO..
I think it happens less when I don't use the IO args, but I haven't been scientific about it.
Last edited by Folknology on Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearcat
Respected Member

Post by bearcat »

I had random problems with the XTAG2 (both with tools 9.9.2 and 10.4). In my case, it would usually work for a short period of time, then fail. No device, illegal operation, etc. It did not matter using the command line tools or the IDE. For me it was related to the USB controller in my computer (WinXP system). The built in Intel based USB ports were trouble with the XTAG2. The built in ports have worked on every other device I have ever attached. Purchased a new Via based USB card, and the XTAG2 now works without errors (so far). If you want the exact model card, let me know. Not sure if this is your problem, so decide for yourself.
JohnR
Experienced Member

Post by JohnR »

Hi,
I am making some progress on the 'xrun' problem. In my system, I have 2 XMOS cards, an XC-1 that provides the stimulus to an XK-1 that does the measurement. Until a few minutes ago I had the two cards running from separate laptops. Now I run both from the same machine so in the Run page in the IDE both USB devices are shown. I select the XK-1 and, joy of joys, the download works.

I still have to unplug and reconnect the USB connection to the XK-1 each time I want to reprogram but the intermittent operation I observed so often earlier now seems to have disappeared. I still do not understand why it is necessary to disconnect?

I think probably my problems with the two cards/two computers maybe were related to ground loop problems. This morning I found that if I disconnected and then reconnected the USB plug on my XK-1, sometimes two of the green LEDs on the XC-1 flashed momentarily - scary! Now with both cards on the same laptop everything seems more stable.

Could someone from XMOS please answer my earlier question of the usage/meaning of the Run I/O and Terminate check buttons on the Run Configurations page.

John.