Linux distribution?

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
Joerg
Member++

Linux distribution?

Post by Joerg »

Hi,

I'm wondering which Linux distros people are using?

http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity

Which distro would you want to the XMOS tools to run on?

Thanks

Joerg

Jamie
Experienced Member

Post by Jamie »

CentOS at University, Ubuntu at home. Would be great if the tools worked properly with Ubuntu.
skoe
Experienced Member

Post by skoe »

I still think RedHat (and the compatible CentOS) is a good choice for industry - even if I don't like RedHat because of its old code base. If you support Debian in addition, it will also run without problems on many Debian-derived distributions like the famous Ubuntu.
Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

Debian.
skoe
Experienced Member

Post by skoe »

One man - one word :)
Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

Actually I don't understand the question.

Given that the IDE is based on Java, it should be "write once run anywhere", otherwise Java has failed.

The rest of it should just compile and run here there and every where.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

The tools should be tested and developed to work on Ubuntu, regardless of what other distributions you also support. This is because it's very widely used as a development environment.

It's a separate issue what you are willing to do for particular customers. If a big, key customer comes along and insists on Windows 95, you'd do it right?

There is also a difference between the IDE running on every platform (as it's Java-based), and the tools... As much as the IDE is great, I'm more bothered about making damn sure xrun and xflash etc actually run on the OS.

Anyway, there's my vote.
monk_is_batman

Post by monk_is_batman »

I'm running Ubuntu on all of my Linux machines and since I put in a support ticket and got back the new dll I have not had any issues. I think this just needs to be thoroughly tested and be "officially" released.
errordeveloper

Post by errordeveloper »

I use Gentoo ..

Well, i didn't have any problems installing XDE in a prefix directory,

it would be quite interesting compiling it from source.
I posted a little bit of Tcl code here, which figures out the latest avaliable version ..
http://xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=620

but when i looked into the source tarball it wasn't quite clear how to compile it all together ;(

also ..may be distributing an Eclipse plugin that would install everything would be very neat! :)

so you could just paste the URL and install it to your eclipse ..may be the toolchain would be better to install separately, and also make GUI rather optional ..
so you install the toolchain and docs+examples, and then if you wish add the Eclipse stuff.
Joerg
Member++

Post by Joerg »

monk_is_batman wrote:I'm running Ubuntu on all of my Linux machines and since I put in a support ticket and got back the new dll I have not had any issues. I think this just needs to be thoroughly tested and be "officially" released.
You put it much better than my original question - its about testing so we can be clear which distros are officially supported. We want to make sure that the most popular version(s) the tools are used on are covered out of the box as we are doing new releases.

Thanks

Joerg