Linux distribution?

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
Joerg
Member++

Post by Joerg »

errordeveloper wrote:I use Gentoo ..

Well, i didn't have any problems installing XDE in a prefix directory,

it would be quite interesting compiling it from source.
I posted a little bit of Tcl code here, which figures out the latest avaliable version ..
http://xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=620

but when i looked into the source tarball it wasn't quite clear how to compile it all together ;(

also ..may be distributing an Eclipse plugin that would install everything would be very neat! :)

so you could just paste the URL and install it to your eclipse ..may be the toolchain would be better to install separately, and also make GUI rather optional ..
so you install the toolchain and docs+examples, and then if you wish add the Eclipse stuff.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Joerg

errordeveloper

Post by errordeveloper »

You are welcome :)
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Ubuntu gets my vote. XD
skoe
Experienced Member

Post by skoe »

so you install the toolchain and docs+examples, and then if you wish add the Eclipse stuff.
This would be perfect.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Ubuntu +1
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

Longtime Ubuntu user, but now pure Archlinux with a KDE DE. A while to set up, but works perfectly (if not, you have non-mainstream hardware or messed something up). Works flawlessly with XMOS too :)
daveg
Member++

Post by daveg »

Is it just the XTAG1 support on Ubuntu which wasn't working and required the replacement DLL, or are there other things which aren't working on Ubuntu? (This is really just a problem with the ftdi libraries use of /proc/bus/usb and kernels newer than a particular version, rather than an Ubuntu-specific problem)

There are quite a few XMOS staff members who run Ubuntu on their desktops and as far as I'm aware we don't have any trouble other than the XTAG1 support (and perhaps with particular versions of Java, but I'd need to check).

I suspect that the tools only saying "Red Hat 4.6" is because once you start saying you support several different distros the level of testing you need to do becomes quite large (multiplies by the number of distros, and 32/64-bit architectures). There's very little in the tools which is dependent on any one particular distro.
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

Anyone tried the FTDI support with the kernel 2.6.35.X ?? (As Ubuntu 10.10 RC or later)
Do you still need a fix ?
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

lilltroll wrote:Anyone tried the FTDI support with the kernel 2.6.35.X ?? (As Ubuntu 10.10 RC or later)
Do you still need a fix ?
It will be required until FTDI fix their driver library XMOS use, I have still heard nothing back from them. Basically support it relies on has been removed from the linux kernel and will not be going back in.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

What does this mean for customers using Xmos products that rely on the FTDI drivers and Linux moving forward?