XSIM problems

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
JohnR
Experienced Member

XSIM problems

Post by JohnR »

Hi,

I cannot seem to get the IDE to open the Waves and Signals windows in the console screen, instead a vcd file is shown as a text file in the editor window.

I have tried opening a new waveform window using "Open Perspective" and loading the UART loopback example. After opening the file,again the contents of the file are displayed in an editor window.

Once again, I must be doing something stupid, so would appreciate any help,

John.

JohnR
Experienced Member

Post by JohnR »

I have finally found out how to display waveforms in XSIM, at least on my system!!!

I opened a new waveform window using Window/Open Perspective/ Waveforms, then clicked on the Load VCD file icon. This loads the Signals window, from which the ports/signals can be selected.

An earlier mistake was using File/Open - this simply opened the file in the text editor.

The other point I missed, I think, was checking only the Ports and not checking the Cycles and +details boxes in the Simulator page.

I am sure this is all quite obvious but it was not to me.

JohnR
bsmithyman
Experienced Member

Post by bsmithyman »

To be honest I haven't really used that aspect of the simulator, but thanks for putting the information up; I'm sure it will save someone a lot of time in the future.
kris
Experienced Member

Post by kris »

Hi John,

Double clicking on the generated vcd file in the project explorer should open it in both the signals and the waves view within the c/xc perspective. Alternatively, as you mentioned, you can open the vcd file directly by switching to the waveforms perspective and using the 'Load vcd file' button in the toolbar.

I totally understand about the File->open confusion. This has been mentioned before. The problem is, the eclispe platform defines the action of doing this to be to open a file in the editor (and not a view), thus changing this is problematic. I'll try to get this better documented.

The ticked boxes options in the tracing tab (i.e. cycles, ports, +details, etc) only tell the simulator which signals to trace when the vcd file is being generated, and should not affect the opening of the vcd file. However, if you are seeing something different happening, then if you could let me know I will take a look.

Cheers,
Kris.
JohnR
Experienced Member

Post by JohnR »

Double clicking on the generated vcd file in the project explorer should open it in both the signals and the waves view within the c/xc perspective.
This did not appear to work in any of the four recent versions of the IDE that I have on my laptop, other than opening the file as text in the editor window.

John.
kris
Experienced Member

Post by kris »

Hi John,

Ahh right. If you could let me know the tools version and platform you are using (+ any other details, i.e. does this happen for all vcd files, or just for particular projects?) then I'll give it a go my end and try to reproduce the problem.

Cheers,
Kris
JohnR
Experienced Member

Post by JohnR »

Hi Kris,

I am running XP Pro version 5.1, SP 3 on a IBM Thinkpad 2003 vintage.

I have tried all the recent XMOS versions 9.92 thru 10.4.2 all with the same results.

Strangely, just once, the Waves and Signals windows did appear as tabs in the console window but only the once?

This is really not any problem for me - the xsim waveform icon appears in the top right corner of the main screen so clicking on this opens up the xsim window as a full screen display, which is nice.

Xsim is really a wonderful piece of software. Up till now I have been downloading my code to a board and then using a hardware logic analyser to figure out what is happening.

John.