Problems attaching photo

Non-technical related questions should go here.
DrFingersSchaefer
Experienced Member

Problems attaching photo

Post by DrFingersSchaefer »

Can anyone help.

I am having problems attaching a photo it is a 200 by 200, 11k jpg so should attach OK.

Attempts fail with the return page from the server claiming the connection was reset by the server on each occasion.

thanks in advance

"Dr Fingers Schaefer, The Lobotomy Kid"
Caesar ad sum iam forti
Brutus ad erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at
:ugeek:
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

I assume this is for your profile photo and you are doing it by editing your main profile page and adding the picture there? I will try with a blank image on your behalf to see if it gives me the same message.
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

OK, I have just made a blank 200x200 pixel jpg and uploaded it fine as you can see your photo has changed successfully.Try re-saving the image you have in case it is corrupt for some reason and being rejected. Let me know how you get on.
DrFingersSchaefer
Experienced Member

I have the same problem attempting to upload the first cut of the development files for the G4 project.

Same response as well.

I did try to send you a PM but XCore exchange refuses and claims I am not your friend :|

Is there some way to send you the files so you could try as I am having no luck from this end on my account.
Caesar ad sum iam forti
Brutus ad erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at
DrFingersSchaefer
Experienced Member

Yup tried again with a reconstructed picture 199 by 199 and comfortably under the size threshold and got exactly the same.

"The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."
Caesar ad sum iam forti
Brutus ad erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at
DrFingersSchaefer
Experienced Member

Jason

Interestingly enough I have just noticed that although the upload failed the blank piccy you put up for me has been deleted.

I did check the box to delete the old copy as I uploaded the new, so it looks to have part worked.

Purely as an aside (not sure if this is linked unless the issue is one of permissions) I don't get email updates of replies to comments although, I have ticked the boxes to enable it whenever I have posted.

Cheers

Fingers
Caesar ad sum iam forti
Brutus ad erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Hmmm this is very strange. Has anyone else had any issues uploading images?

DrFingersSchaefer - what are your computer specs? Browser/OS?

I will email you using regular email so you can send me the files assuming they are < 10mb in total.
DrFingersSchaefer
Experienced Member

I have a couple here but all are Ubuntu 9.10 (some 64 bit some 32 bit) with Firefox (3.5.7) as browser.

Fully patched up to date.

Google, iGoogle and Gmail etc all work with attaching images etc OK as do other Wikis for other Open Source projects I contribute to (as well as one I run).

I have a VM with XP on it for apps that won't linux. I will try with this when I get a mo.

Out of interest what is the site written in, does it expect any client side execution ie Java ??
Caesar ad sum iam forti
Brutus ad erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

I just updated my avatar and it could be some kind of odd caching issue? I uploaded the new one and it didn't appear on my profile. Then I went the forums and the new one was there - but its not on my profile (but the old one still is).

EDIT: cleared my browser cache and all is well (FF 3.5.7 on XP SP3)
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

There are no Java applets on this site.

If it continues for you, I may reset your password and try myself, just to be on the safe side to rule out any computer/network/ISP issues. As I cant seem to recreate this using a different standard user account. You can then change your password under account edit to whatever you want again after. Let me know if XP works.

Paul - yes you will need to press ctrl f5 after a new photo upload as your browser will cache it.