40pin DIP Module Using XS1-L1-48

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
Corin
Experienced Member

Post by Corin »

Thanks for the responses - although the responses moved the question somewhat.

Back to the original question - people definitely favour a 40-pin DIP module without XTAG2 (seems to be the consensus) rather than have a 0.9" wide module with the XTAG2 intergrated and a USB mini-B connector?

Cheers,
Corin
Last edited by Corin on Thu May 05, 2011 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

Corin wrote:Thanks for the responses - although the responses moved the question somewhat.

Back to the original question - people definitely favour a 40-pin DIP module without XTAG2 (seems to be the consensus) rather than have a 0.9" wide module with the XTAG2 intergrated and a USB A connector?

Cheers,
Corin
As far as I'm concerned, yes.
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

Post by Interactive_Matter »

Corin wrote:Thanks for the responses - although the responses moved the question somewhat.

Back to the original question - people definitely favour a 40-pin DIP module without XTAG2 (seems to be the consensus) rather than have a 0.9" wide module with the XTAG2 intergrated and a USB mini-B connector?

Cheers,
Corin
Yes
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Thanks for the responses - although the responses moved the question somewhat.

Cheers,
Corin
Yes KISS for the 40 pin DIP and the same for the L2/G4 Dimm, i.e. no onboard xtag

regards
Al
Omer
Member++

Post by Omer »

Folknology wrote:Yes KISS for the 40 pin DIP and the same for the L2/G4 Dimm, i.e. no onboard xtag
Seconded.
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

40-pin DIL is cool :)

Could you include a snap off adapter PCB for a JTAG2 to 7 pin JTAG header?
Corin
Experienced Member

Post by Corin »

Rather than using the header - I was thinking of possibly using a cable.

E.g. Made from:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... =WM8005-ND
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... =WM2527-ND
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... M2565CT-ND
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... M2562CT-ND

Although I'm not sure of the price of these in volume.

Cheers,
Corin
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Rather than using the header - I was thinking of possibly using a cable...
If you are talking about the jtag header, then perhaps you should follow ARM and use the 1.27mm 2x5 header

But I'm a bit puzzled, why are you not including the xscope link pins from say Link port C and then using 20pins (perhaps 1.27mm 2x10)?

regards
Al
Corin
Experienced Member

Post by Corin »

Hi Folknology,

We could use a different header, but this would require an adapter board / cable still. We used the 7-pin header from the XTAG2 as it is the minimum signals that you require and is the same as the JTAG header on the XTAG2 - hence we have the adapters around already.

As regards not wiring the XMOS-Link for XScope - I didn't do this as it can cause signal integrity issues if running the link fast and it's wired to external pins on the module as it creates a spur. I figured people would rather have the signals instead. Furthermore, people may create systems with multi-cores using several modules, in which case on the XMOS-links would be wired between the modules and only one would be connected to the XSYS connector (as well as the JTAG signals being chained).

Other options from programming / XScope debugging are:
- add the 20-pin XTAG2 XSYS header onto the target board (that the module is plugged into). Particularly suitable for development / multi-core projects.
- have a programming board with an XSYS header with the XMOS-link wired and a 5V0-3V3 LDO so it can be powered from the USB. This would be like a motherboard that you could use to program it, but would be not as suitable for debug as the signals would not be connected as it's not in the target system.
- have an interposer with the same pinout as the module, which the module plugs into. It would have an XSYS connector on it with the link diverted to it and the JTAG wired so that you could debug the module with XScope in the target system. Although, is slightly more complex that a simple adapter...

Cheers,
Corin
Chendy

Post by Chendy »

This is great,

I would also be interested in other low cost minimal modules, for other more powerful XMOS processors.

Is XMOS (or anybody else) planning to sell any of these any time soon?