PCB Footprints

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
sjalloq

Post by sjalloq »

I've actually just deleted my project. I'm going to follow Folk's suggestion of hosting it on Github. It's going to be much easier to maintain and track than on here. I'll post back once I've done that so if you want to use it you can.

If you have already downloaded the current version, I made a basic mistake with the first version in that I created a single symbol instead of splitting them up - one for I/O, one for Config and one for Power. I've fixed this since and it will be in the Github version.

Laters.

Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Nice one Shareef that will save me doing it.

When you create the directory structure make sure you have a src sub directory and binary sub directories for the different packages e.g.:

Footprints -
Eagle -
src
lib
EasyPC -
src
lib
etc...
Once you have the eagle library export it as a script into the src folder for Eagle. The lib folder is for release versions that we know work and have been tested and is created in Eagle by importing the script. When folks are contributing you should only accept patches on the src script ( and only make changes in the repository on the src rather than the library. The reason is that you cannot merge the binaries, but you will be able to merge the script file as it is text.

When it comes to releases use version tags and then branch for fixes on that release, that will probably be the most manageable way to handle the libraries.

I would imagine similar can be achieved with the other cad packages, you will need to get feedback on those practices, EasyPC should be converted from the Eagle files (not sure if it takes the scripts of just the binaries TonyD would know).

let me know when you ready as I would like to add the L2 footprint.

regards
Al
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

Hello hello. Did we every get a good PCB library file?
sjalloq

Post by sjalloq »

I've not done anything with XMOS stuff for ages as I started a new job which zapped all my spare time.

Sorry.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

Al:

Easy-PC is like the Pulsonix software I use (both come from the same company); it imports Eagle designs and libraries using a special translation ULP that is supplied with the software. It works very well.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

No worries, I'm going to give Eagle a shot, which means I'm really after an Eagle library. The SparkFun Eagle library has an L1-64 in it.
skoe
Experienced Member

Post by skoe »

I recently ordered boards created with KiCad which use an XS1-64. If they look okay when they arrive I'll put the library and footprint here. If somebody wants to get them and to validate them by himself, feel free to send a PM.
Andy
Respected Member

Post by Andy »

I'd recommend the Windows version of kicad over Eagle. XMOS have libraries for most if not all their chips.
Jerry
Member++

Post by Jerry »

Another recent option is DesignSpark PCB.

This seems to be a free variant of Easy-PC without the usual board size or pin number limitations of programs like Eagle. It supposedly can read Eagle libraries. I've heard that DesignSpark PCB is RS' (a UK components distributor) response to Farnell's purchase of CadSoft (the makers of Eagle).

http://www.designspark.com/pcb
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I was going to mention DesignSpark PCB. I've been suggesting its use on other forums, and quite a few people are trying it out. I used Easy-PC for nearly 20 years, and was one of their earliest customers. Advanced Circuits has been supplying a similar package for some time, but it can only be used with their PCB service. IIRC, they will supply Gerbers after the first order. Easy-PC does a good job of reading Eagle designs (schematics and PCBs) as well as libraries.