Processor Recommendation Topic is solved

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
dlh

Processor Recommendation

Post by dlh »

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on the 'best' (as in mimimum required / cheapest) xcore processor for the following TDM to USB audio based project.

Requirements:
- TDM 8 mode (8 channels per TDM line)
- 4 x TDM input lines (32 channels)
- 4 x TDM output lines (32 channels)
- 48KHz/96KHz samplerates
- i2c or spi for configuration with co-processor
- USB for Audio I/O

I would also like some insight as to how a design with 2 and 8 TDM lines in each direction (16 and 64 channels respectively) would scale. e.g. Is it one TDM line per core? Or does the USB require more cores to deal with the load etc?

Thanks

View Solution
Choughtosh
Member++

Post by Choughtosh »

The xCORE-200 Multichannel Board uses an XE216-512 device. For a USB only application the XU216-512 would be more appropriate.

I'd start with this and then look at the resources required once you've configured and compiled the reference design code (which basically does exactly what you need). I suspect that you'll comfortably be able to use XU212-256 and maybe smaller, but you will be able to assess this yourself using the resource utilisation in xTimecomposer.
infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

Also, bear in mind that the ref design won't manage 24b/96KHz at 32 channels. You can do 32x 24b/48KHz (supported in the ref design already as build

Code: Select all

2i32o32xxxxx_tdm8 # Audio Class 2, Input, Output, No MIDI, No SPDIF Tx, TDM (32in/32out) 
or possibly 32x 16b/96KHz (not tested). This is due to the current bandwidth limit on a single Isochronous endpoint.

See here http://www.xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... +bandwidth
dlh

Post by dlh »

Thank for the replies.

Regarding the other thread, I was going to contact Ross privately as he had asked the other poster, however when I go to his profile and click "Send Message" it just doesn't work?

Is there any word on whether this will 'officially' be supported. Or how do I go about getting the necessary library / app that would support this as 96KHz support is a requirement.

Thanks again.
infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

I'm not aware of a project to extend XUD to support high bandwidth endpoints, although the idea does seem to come up fairly frequently as a useful addition. Like any engineering company, I'm sure a business opportunity with a suitable amount of $$$ would get it further up the todo list..
dlh

Post by dlh »

Is there any chance that you could discuss with Ross the option of unofficially providing the modified code to support 32x32@96Khz?

We are currently reviewing component options for this TDM to USB interface and the xcore seems to provide the fastest development path for us as it is essentially a drop in solution, but this is one feature that will be difficult not to support.
infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Is there any chance that you could discuss with Ross the option of unofficially providing the modified code to support 32x32@96Khz?
Ross monitors this forum too but I understand he has some tight deadlines so maybe otherwise engaged. I cannot speak for him though but of course will notify him about your post.