Availability

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
nico

Availability

Post by nico »

Hi
I have designed a board based on a XEF216-512-TQ128-C20 but it seems that there is no stock at standard suppliers (Digikey ...) for that component.

Does that mean that the component will be discontinued ? Is there a better alternative like the XUF216-512-TQ128-C20 ? i do not use the ethernet features of the XEF216-512-TQ128-C20.

Thanks for your help,

Best regards,
Nicolas

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi nico.

The XEF series is a superset of the other variations with the same part number. With the XEF, you get it all, USB + Ethernet+Internal Flash.

The XUF series is a drop in replacement if you do not require Ethernet.

Suggestions:

For your design, allow for the use of an external local flash device so in the event that you are unable to source the XEF or XUF (ie. internal flash version) parts, then you can stuff the XE or XU (ie. without internal flash version) parts to keep cranking out your tchotchke.

Start with any vendor that can support you in small qty to validate your design. Recommend that you consider Future Electronics once you are able to purchase in the MOQ of 90 pieces per tray. The savings will be worth the move to Future Electronics. From memory, pretty sure we paid < $10 USD for the XE device (without internal flash) so best to work with your favorite supplier(s).

Also, stay away from a pop-up ad that is appearing on Google for low cost electronic parts. The company is some scam artist in HK and they do not exist. We phoned their physical building to locate this vendor - ironically, actually spoke to a law firm who is supposed to be their neighbor in HK and they validated that no such company exists in their building. At the time, we were on the hunt for a few thousand of the STM32 micro controller and they claimed to have stock and 40% of the suggested resale. Another red flag is that their inventory for any vendor, any part is hard-coded on their webpage source code. All indicators of a major scam. Their phone number is not answered. Did find other posts of those who have lost thousands of dollars. After transferring the funds, nothing is ever received. We were lucky and did not work with them.

nico

Post by nico »

Thanks for your answer.
Do you know what will be the lifecycle of those chips (XU/XUF, XE/XEF) ?

I will add the flash, do you have any particular advice on the choice of the flash ?

IS25LQ080B-JNL which is used on the XC-200-MC-AUDIO has no stock ...
I used a W25X20CLUXIGTR-ND in a previous design which seems to be a good option.

Regards,
Nicolas
nico

Post by nico »

Well W25X20CLUXIGTR-ND is not a quad spi flash ...