Problem Trying To Access Examples, from within xTIMEcomposer

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
bear118

Post by bear118 »

huw wrote:Thanks Bootucal,

Looks like a server timeout issue. Odd that the first download (software) appears to be good despite the timeout error, and then it locks when trying to download the board information.

If you go to the software url (https://www.xmos.com/api/get_all_softwa ... MEcomposer) at top of the debug.log file, in a standard browser you should get the same information that's in this log file.

What happens when you try and open the board information in a default browser the url at the bottom of the file using:

https://www.xmos.com/api/get_all_board_ ... MEcomposer

Do you see nothing or data like the following?

<bsps toolsVersion="Community_14.3.3">
<bsp id="000D041X" name="SLICEKIT-X200" description="sliceKIT Core Board (X200)">
<version id="1.0.0" authorised="true" reason="" />
</bsp>
<bsp id="0009011X" name="XP-SKC-SU1" description="XP-SKC-SU1 Development Board">
<version id="1.0.0" authorised="true" reason="" />
</bsp>

"Odd that the first download (software) appears to be good despite the timeout error, and then it locks when trying to download the board information."
Yeah, that's it. Strange!

markp

Post by markp »

I suspect for the first download the quantity of data was small so the default timeout was not exceeded, but for the second download stage the data quantity was large enough to exceed the timeout threshold. Plus, as more boards have been added over time, the likelihood of timeout failure increases in the second stage.
Bootucal

Post by Bootucal »

Increasing the connection timeout to 100000 works as well for my computer at university, which generated the logfile.
markp

Post by markp »

Could you also tick the checkbox "Disable security certificate checking" (underneath the "Connection timeout" editbox) and upload the logs if it still fails?
uth

Post by uth »

The same error on Linux. It has nothing to do with the timeout, because the error happens immediately.

Ping: https://www.xmos.com [200]
DevColumnCorePlugin: online enabled. Ping successfull
BroadcastListeners: addListener: class com.xmos.xsoftip.ui.views.libraries.LibrariesView
WebServices: opening connection (timeout = 1000000): https://www.xmos.com/api/get_all_softwa ... e_version=
WebServices: ERROR: No data returned
ERROR: ComponentBrowserView(handleRefreshError): File '/home/art/.xmos/cache/AllAvailableSoftware.xml' does not
java.io.FileNotFoundException: File '/home/art/.xmos/cache/AllAvailableSoftware.xml' does not exist
at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.openInputStream(FileUtils.java:265)
at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.readFileToString(FileUtils.java:1457)
at com.xmos.libs.core.webservices.WebServices.getAllSoftwareXml(Unknown Source)
at com.xmos.libs.core.webservices.DownloadManager$1.download(Unknown Source)
at com.xmos.libs.core.webservices.DownloadManager.downloadAnyway(Unknown Source)
at com.xmos.libs.core.webservices.DownloadManager.downloadSoftwareInfo(Unknown Source)
at com.xmos.xsoftip.core.XSoftIP.refreshAvaliableSoftware(Unknown Source)
at com.xmos.xsoftip.ui.views.XSoftIPBrowserView$1.run(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:53)
WebServices: opening connection (timeout = 1000000): https://www.xmos.com/api/get_all_board_ ... l?&xde_ver
WebServices: ERROR: No data returned

BroadcastListeners: removeListener: class com.xmos.xsoftip.ui.views.libraries.LibrariesView
uth

Post by uth »

In Linux, it works once after a fresh install. Then it is enough to restart, or just to toggle offline/online, to lost the connection. I tried also the timeout and removing the cache, did not work.
bear118

Post by bear118 »

Can XMOS place a download server in China?
dahoma
Member++

Post by dahoma »

I have tried to increase the connection timeout to 100000 and tick the checkbox "Disable security certificate checking" but nothing

Code: Select all

ERROR: ComponentBrowserView(handleRefreshError): File 'C:\Users\Sergio\.xmos\cache\AllAvailableSoftware.xml' does not exist
java.io.FileNotFoundException: File 'C:\Users\Sergio\.xmos\cache\AllAvailableSoftware.xml' does not exist
As it said in the log file, could be there is not the cache fileAllAvailableSoftware.xml
dahoma
Member++

Post by dahoma »

uth wrote:In Linux, it works once after a fresh install. Then it is enough to restart, or just to toggle offline/online, to lost the connection. I tried also the timeout and removing the cache, did not work.
what do you mean with a fresh install?
uth

Post by uth »

Fresh install: remove both directories ~/.xmos and XMOS, unpack again.

Then it asks for the password, after I give the correct one it connects and all is good. Until anything, eg. switch offline, online. Then there is "connection failed" forever, until a fresh install.

It is a normal raw Linux, where the network connection is just as normal, especially given that the first connection attempt succeeds immediately. I guess it has nothing to do with the network. Tested under Java 7 and Java 8. Also, I had never problems with other applications, networking, etc. on this system. So it is not "some rare bug on some Windows versions", unless my Ubuntu is some vicious Windows in disguise :)

I would also like to note, that I doubt, that it is only, or at all, the matter of timeout. Firstly, it is highly unlikely then someone has timeouts of the order of 10s on http in today's internet if the server is working reasonably. The download size should have nothing to do, if the definition of timeout is also reasonable, i.e. it is about the detection of the presence of an active server, and not about the total download time. Why care about the latter? Secondly, changing the timeout works only for some, which shows that there is another bug.

I am blocked and I can not just test the whole thing. Could you please tell me, is this bug going to be ignored as the culprit is supposedly "buggy OS or local network problems" (which I am almost sure it is not), or someone takes it seriously?