xrun and xtag2 can't communicate all the time

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
myndideal

xrun and xtag2 can't communicate all the time

Post by myndideal »

Hi,
I have a rare problem, wich occured several times with my XTAG2 REV 1V1 (and I have Rev 1V0 too) with multiple xTIMEcomposer (actually I use 14.0.3 on win8.1)...
The downloading stops working, (from composer and) xrun -l waits a lot, no device is printed but Adapter ID looks good. It means for me at first sight the adapter is ok, but device got some other things to do rather than resoponding to jtag (?) :) ehh..

In this failure case, when I try verbose mode downloading, there are some weird non-alphanum characters printed at the last line... (It look like a wrong speed/reset state in uarts, I dont know wat is it?) But usually right before this line there is a CMD B line any other cases. This is a difference, because in errorous cases there's only a CMD line without "B"...

So, because the missing device list, I tought before: I make some weird code, as usually :) ok... So legitime to restart all my xmos system ... Bob's your unkle, problem goes away...

But now, I tried to disconnect only the xtag2 usb cable from the PC, then reconnect it again...
Without broke my xmos system's power. So literally the device was not reseted itself on reconnection. (of course it may be reseted by the xtag2 rather, if it is designed in this way... But not, I see)

In this actual testcase, I got the following:
xmos -l gives a right device list, then first downloading still was not good but there was my missed "CMD B", line. Then, from the second downloading, it was working correctly...

It means for me, the firmware bug is not on my developers board side, not in my sw code, but in the xtag2 code... (?)
... and I'am waiting for a new version for the XTAG2 devices, which one stable as rock. :)
Am I right?
Or it is depends on the developer's board ? (XP-SKC-L2 1V1 and 1V2 what I tested and same)...

So, I have two different versions of these boards, and do the same, I guess. But I think It is depends on the USB port handling on XTAG2 side. Is it?
Do you have some/same experience w these boards?
Thanks!

Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

That does sound annoying, do you have access to an XTAG 3 at all?