Real Time, Ethernet AVB and Powerlink. What can XMOS do?

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
Minamisava

Real Time, Ethernet AVB and Powerlink. What can XMOS do?

Post by Minamisava »

Hello everybody,I am participating on a a project and got to know XMOS 2 weeks ago. Hoping to get some directions and understanding for what can XMOS do.Objectives:I am interested in a real time communication system for a sensor system. There are 5-10 nodes that send constant information up to 50 MBits though a daisy chain to a "master". We landed on Powerlink, that should be specially the least cost intensive solution to this problem (counting IDE and licensing costs). Mostly you get an FPGA and connect it to some µC. But XMOS came with other approach.Questions:1) The XMOS statement to Powerlink was "roadmap". I understood that Powerlink isn't implemented with xmos. Is that correct? 2) Can Ethernet AVB handle such a communication?Any input or redirection is welcome! Thanks in advanced!

afeher
New User

Post by afeher »

If you need a fast solution, You can just combine these 3 modules by Synapticon:

and have a EtherCAT System, which is real-time and can handle the 50Mbit. Here, a combination of XMOS and Beckhoff ASIC is used. For the master side there is a supported open source EtherCAT master implementation (IgH). Cheers!

Minamisava

Post by Minamisava »

Thanks for the fast and complete solution!!
I did know SOMANET, but the master was for me still a big problem. Great tip on the open source!

The problem with SOMANET for me is their license and therefore the costs. They offer standard and custom designs and the license for the software states:
Execution of this software or parts of it exclusively takes place on hardware produced by Synapticon GmbH.

With that I can't produce it with all my cost requirements. The boards should be self design for maximal integration with the system and should be our own design for lower production costs.

Any other software solutions with the XMOS?