Unable to program the SPI flash memory but JTAG appears to b

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
Steve
New User

Unable to program the SPI flash memory but JTAG appears to b

Post by Steve »

Hi Guys,

I designed a PCB based on the USB audio 2.0 reference design, and I am encounting an issue with programming the flash memory:

1. I am using the AT25FS010N.
2. I am able to play/debug my PCB via JTAG, using the XTAG2. Basically, I compile and run the reference design's code via JTAG, and the computer recognise it. With it, I can play music via foobar. All good.
3. But when I try to program the binary into the flash memory, it compiles successfully, but hangs after that. It does not flash successfully.

The XTAG interface design is as per the reference design. No changes to the code. Could anyone give me a tinker on what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Steve

infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

Are you able to talk to the SPI from an app OK? Are you sure that it is connected OK? On some of our ref designs, we muliplex the SPI pins, so if you have copied these ciurtcuits, do check that the SPI pins are waggling OK (ie everything is enabled that should be enabled).

Loading into RAM over JTAG (running) does not depend on the SPI flash at all, so I could understand why running is OK but Flashing not, and could well be a hardware problem. However, it does tell you that the JTAG side of things is all fine, so no need to investigate that.

The FLASH is a supported one so that should be OK. Have you defined it in your XN file? 

<Device NodeId="0" Core="0" Class="SPIFlash" Name="bootFlash" Type="AT25FS010">

avignani

Post by avignani »

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem on my board, Xflash compiles and loads the executables but then hangs (or takes an inordinate amount of time to start). What is curious is that 13.0.0 beta1 under CentOs works fine; all the other versions I tried (13.1.0 and 13.2.0 under windows and linux) fail.

Could this be related to the infamous message "System is not set to boot from JTAG" that 13.0.0beta1 (correctly) ignores?

Alberto