JavaGUI<-->USB<-->StartKit Communication Topic is solved

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
jlbettha

JavaGUI<-->USB<-->StartKit Communication

Post by jlbettha »

All,

To summarize the structure of my project: JavaGUI <---> USB or some type of JNI for USB <---> XMOS signal generation ---> Post-processing hardware.  I am building a signal generator with various selectable filters and envelopes on the XMOS startkit, and would like to interface via USB with the startkit using a GUI in Java on a local machine.  I will then output a serial stream to hardware DACs for some analog post-processing.

I will need to pass roughly 20 variables (doubles) over USB to the Startkit from the GUI, either asynchronous on each update or synchronous every 0.5 seconds-- whichever is easier.  I would like to pass the digital signals back to the GUI for graphical output, if possible (8 32-bit values every millisecond).  I have created the java GUI as well as the signal generation software, but am very stuck on topics relating to the USB comm on both the XMOS end and the local Java end.  I am reading the associated docs on XUD and XTAG2 that I found in other forums.  I feel that this task should be extremely easy, common,  and straightforward but I have found discussions on the topic to be rather divergent in nature and/or are for far more complex applications.  Any help, with either overall program structure ideas or simple examples (eg. passing a single variable over USB based on a timer) would be helpful.  I am an electrical engineer with some basic embedded C experience, but my broader software background is limited.  Please keep that in mind in your responses.

As a side note, I have recently discovered the XMOS chip, and after reading the programming guide etc., believe it will provide a wonderful platform for future project development.  I am excited by the extended functionality for the chips provided by XC language.  That said, getting to the bottom of the above problem will aid me immensely in future projects. 

Thank you,

Joseph

View Solution
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

Hi Joseph, 

The user code doesn't have direct access to USB on the startKIT it is for XTAG functionality i.e. "debugging" only.

You could get the data in/out of the device using the socket interface to xscope.. please see http://www.xcore.com/questions/2718/xsc ... pplication.