XMOSCookbook - something to look at

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
russf
XCore Addict

XMOSCookbook - something to look at

Post by russf »

I am pleased to announce the first XMOSCookbook bundle.

You can see the project overview here, and follow the introduction to using git for source code control.

http://www.xcore.com/projects/xmos-cookbook

This is not profound, just a repackaging of the tcpip_1v3 bundle for the XC-2, but it's a starting point for community based coding. Now we can all help each other by making compatible modules that can easily be republished in a working configuration AND take advantage of general improvements and fixes.

Please come back with comments and contributions. There will be a heartfelt thank-you to the first git PULL request that fixes the remaining "stdcore without -target" warnings when building the XCS firmware app.

Thanks to you all, and very best wishes,

--r.

lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

I'm just starting to understand the use of modules together with Makefile.

Is the Makefile "constant" with this approach? You just use the most updated code?

What is the "most selling punchline" for using git?
Can you track changes in another way or how does it work?

/Never heard of git
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

The layout that XMOS has demonstrated with Makefiles is key to making our code reusable. At the beginning of the year I started having conversations about this, and I'm very pleased to see xmos providing this example of how we composed chunks of code with minimal effort.

The 'app' makefile will need modification (Target, list of modules used, maybe some extras), but the module that provides the code to the app should have no makefile. It just has the module_build_info that is in turn processed as part of Make.

The idea is that one could have a 'recipe' bundle, choose to update to a newer version of a module, test, then update the submodule reference in git. From that point on, all other users of the HEAD recipe would be getting the fresh submodule.

Tagline for git. "Power and flexibility without fear!". (But there is a learning curve. Like all these things.)

This would work on other SCM, but git facilitates the owner of some work 'pulling' changes from a fork. This means that significant developments can be offered back to a project, with minimal effort.

I would love to see XMOS get out more, and put their code in git. The zip files are killing me!

Git is definitely the trendiest SCM, at the moment.

Thanks for looking.

--r.
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

I am all for things like GitHub which if anyone is not aware yet - you can use GitHub and specify the GitHub url for your project instead for your download! Thought that was worth mentioning for new members.