Best way to measure pulse width greater than timer size.

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
Matt

Best way to measure pulse width greater than timer size.

Post by Matt »

Hey Guys,

I am trying to figure the best way to measure the time between transitions on a one bit port.
The problem is some transitions are longer than the 32 bit counter period.
Secondly I need to log the times of up to 100 sequential transitions.
I have experimented with the
inp when pinsneq(pinstate) :> pinstate @ ttime;
and then do the math on sequential reads but this gives me numbers that are not useful

I am guessing that I could use a case statement that uses a variable to track if the counter rolls over but I am also guessing that someone has already figured the best way and wouldnt mind letting me know.

Cheers

Matt

paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

A good way (depending on the resolution you need) is to attach a clock block to the port and then divide down the clock rate - you can use the function listed below which is documented in the xs1.h section of the documentation in <xmos tool root>/doc/libs/html/index.html

Code: Select all

configure_clock_rate	(	clock 	clk,
unsigned 	a,
unsigned 	b	 
)	
This should allow you with a standard ref clock get down to ref / (2*255).

By the way- port timers (using the @ syntax) are only 16 bit and by default run at the reference clock speed, which is usually 100MHz unless you have explicitly set it to another value.
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.