New XMOS L2 board with USB ?

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
lilltroll
XCore Expert

New XMOS L2 board with USB ?

Post by lilltroll »

Interesting; several XMOS projects on github has been updated with a new possible target-configuration.

It seems to be a card with USB and the L2 chip.

If you want to find out more !?, well I will not post a link for you.
You have to check for yourself on github :geek: .

Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

Oh go on let us know which ones you're talking about, I might be able to find out more that way ;)
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

phalt wrote:Oh go on let us know which ones you're talking about, I might be able to find out more that way ;)
Well since the makefile takes a new taret keyboard, it must be new hardware that will be supported on XDE 11.7.

You can probably find out, but I would be surprised if you can make a pre-release here on xcore and keep your job ;)

But it might be an in-house prototype as well, that might be something in the long future.

If I have to guess I would guess that it is a small brother to XDK.
I have to read the source on github as the time passes by.
Each new piece of code with that target support, is a clue of what is connected on the L2 ports.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

After you posted I noticed a number of keyboard.xn files scattered through the USB lib area

Also for a bonus curiosity factor check out the oscillator value ;-)

regards
Al
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

I think I know what this might be actually, if there is something to do with keyboards on there!
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

The documentation is still missing of course

But it seems to be able to run USB2.0 and Ethernet on the same time (different cores), and have keyboard support. Also it looks like it will support virtual COMports on the XTAG2, but in that case it must be a new feature in 11.7

That is something I have been longing for if that is the case. Why ?
Well if you implement a JTAG port on a pre-production series, it is very nice if you can connect a medium-speed connection with a GUI on a laptop that can be built in any program. COM-ports are supported in all languages. This way you can run a debugger and have a realtime GUI.

This doesn't add any cost to the BOM.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

What would be nice on the USB side is if the USB phy and an extra core could be included in the package. Kind of an L2 with only one core IO exposed sold for similar prices to current L1s (maybe a small premium) and simple packaging TQFP/LQFP maybe QFN (single row!) etc.. Maybe 6 of the USB core pins could be exposed to flash tx/rx leds and connect SPI Flash allowing maximum use of the other cores IO.

*Update - Even better put the SPI flash inside the package and expose link C 4pins as 2wire external link as that would be handy to link to other chips or provide xscope support etc.. corner power pins would also help to keep the decoupling simpler (like L2 but single row).

regards
Al
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

I know what the mystery keyboard usb thing is.

I'll upload a video demonstration of it tomorrow for you guys, it's pretty damn cool!
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

And there was me thinking you guys had bitbanged 12Mhz USB keyboard HID interface - https://www.xcore.com/projects/xmos-key ... -interface
Turns out you cheated using PS-2 keyboard, I am surprised you could find one ;-)

Still don't get the oscillator frequency choice..

regards
Al
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

Folknology wrote: Still don't get the oscillator frequency choice..
??? SystemFrequency="480MHz" ReferenceFrequency="96Mhz" ???

Think about USB and why these numbers might be useful...
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.