Hello Andromeda!

First time on the site? Say hello here!
N8B

Hello Andromeda!

Post by N8B »

Just to start out with a broader scope than the world!

I'm Nate Bernstein

I have been working for SparkFun Electronics for the past couple of years. I did the PCB layout for the SparkFun XS1 Dev Board. Sorry about the hardware bug. I joined the exchange back in April and found out about XMOS back in June of last year but didn't have much interest in fiddling with concurrency/parallelism until now.

Main interests right now are learning more about concurrency on tiny processors and possibly seeing some implementation of occom-pi on an xmos processor.

jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Hi Nate!

Great to have you with us here on XCore.com!

I think I have heard a few others talking about occam-pi too - anyone remember who else was interested in this?

Anyhow enjoy your stay here and we look forward to seeing what you make with us!
Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

Welcome Nate,

You reminded me that I've been meaning to get hold of SparkFun XS1 Dev Board.

I have a little project, always on the back burner, to implement the XLINK protocol on a Parallax Inc Propeller MCU. Idea being make use of the XLINK hardware on the XMOS and not consume any thread for the link.

Looks like the SparkFun board has a nice prototyping area on it, big enough to hold a 40 pin DIP Propeller. You may find me picking your brains about that board one day.

As for Occam. At my old University of Kent at Canterbury, they have an interpreter for Occam-Pi which runs on AVR's and Lego Mind Storms. It might be an idea to get that up and running on an XMOS chip first.
N8B

Post by N8B »

Heater wrote:I have a little project, always on the back burner, to implement the XLINK protocol on a Parallax Inc Propeller MCU. Idea being make use of the XLINK hardware on the XMOS and not consume any thread for the link.
That would be neat. I've never used the Propeller although I have heard good things.
Heater wrote:Looks like the SparkFun board has a nice prototyping area on it, big enough to hold a 40 pin DIP Propeller
I made it that big on purpose. I knew people would want to put some fairly big stuff on there.
Heater wrote:At my old University of Kent at Canterbury, they have an interpreter for Occam-Pi which runs on AVR's and Lego Mind Storms. It might be an idea to get that up and running on an XMOS chip first
I actually found out about occom-pi through Matt Jadud who I think went to Kent or worked at Kent or something like that. He also is one of the developers who helped get the transterpreter up and running on AVRs. They have a good website and good support:
http://concurrency.cc/
The transterpreter is fun stuff. I am just getting started with it. I imagine someone has built some sort of transputer using XMOS processors, if anyone has a link please post.
Jerry
Member++

Post by Jerry »

Nate,

Welcome.

If you have any influence with new product selection at SparkFun, may I suggest that SF do a development board based on the dual-core XS1-L2? There is currently a gap in the XMOS product line here and this would be a great opportunity for SparkFun.
N8B

Post by N8B »

Jerry wrote:If you have any influence with new product selection at SparkFun, may I suggest that SF do a development board based on the dual-core XS1-L2? There is currently a gap in the XMOS product line here and this would be a great opportunity for SparkFun.
Yes I do. There have been a handful of products that I suggested, did the engineering for, and saw through to the end that have made their way onto the SparkFun website. There have been others that I have had my hands in that I didn't suggest.

A processor that is easy to use that has two cores would be awesome. I see the gap now, it looks like XMOS isn't selling a dev kit for the XS1-L2. We should probably start another post talking about this.