Project ABE - XMOS Challenge User Video

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
jason
XCore Expert

Project ABE - XMOS Challenge User Video

Post by jason »

8ZC9oquVVsQ

MS6FX5uUBqQ

41WrhbCJ_zU

Just found some videos by one of the XMOS challenge participants. Looks pretty cool!

Extract taken from spacebird's XMOS challenge project on LMR:
About Project ABE

The main purpose of the project it's to create an autonomous vehicle to explore lakes and reefs. Aquatic Bot Explorer (ABE) its based on a ROV (Remotely Operated underwater Vehicles ) and AUV (Autonomous Underwater Vehicles ) class robots.
This bot it's powered by an XK-1 processor by XMOS, several boards for sensing: pressure, temperature, depth, etc. Motor control, demux, ADC, etc. are developed.

1.1 Vehicle Design

ABE design consist of three DC motors with special water proof. The control system uses a Fuzzy algorithm for underwater stability, sensed by an accelerometer. three underwater proof servos are used to move each thrusters for different movements. An illuminated system will be controlled by a light sensor, according to the ambient light. Other measures to consider are: temperature, pressure and water presence inside the bot, in this case will activated an special function to go back to the surface. In figure 1.1.1 its show the 3D model of ABE. The version 5 of ABE it is almost finished and under testing.

Fig. 1.1.1 - ABE 3D design.

In the Video shows the process of assembling ABE, this version uses a minimum of parts for ABE version 5.

2.1 Circuit Design

The circuits used in ABE are several boards divided in two main areas: control and sensing. Each board contains the basic circuits to move the bot and obtain vital information from the environment. This boards are connected to the XK-1 (Figure 2.1.1) The control board which is used for the motors are in pins XD12 - XD23. The sensor and lighting control are in pins XD0 - XD11.

Fig. 2.1.1 - XK-1 pins locations to use for control and sensing boards.

All the boards are put together in cube arrangement that contains: main sensor board, control board, XK-1 and power board. This is illustrated in figure 2.1.2.

Fig. 2.1.2 - PCB Arrangement for X-BOX.

Power Board - The PCB uses 7805, 7809 to obtain 5, 9 Volts,output reference voltages and a small DC-DC converter.

Sensor Board - This PCB uses a LM35 for temperature sensing, a basic water presence sensor and a small power circuit to activate the lighting system and an accelerometer for position control sensor.

Main Sensor Board - The main use of this board, its to obtain analogue data from the sensor to the XK-1, according to x-linkers[*] ,there is available code for MCP3208 , this 12-bit SAR ADC from MicroChip has 8 input pins, multiplexed to a 100 ksps ADC. The board will use one of this IC, with an 4017 to multiplex ports to use for control purposes.

Control Board - This board will take the signals from the XK-1 to control 4 DC motors and up to 9 servos. To achieve this task, its use an 74hc595 to send signals control for two L293D. Also, a 4017 will multiplex the signal for the servos.

3 Algorithms Design

Soon ..

4 Simulation and Testing

Soon ....

shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

They make it look easy, never been to LMR, its new to me.
I keep getting the same feeling about bots as I felt about
the pc era, "this market is going to become pervasive". ABE
along with many other projects look like early preAT/XT PC's.
Very nice example of project visualization, Inspiring.
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

New video!
johanar

Post by johanar »

That's a pretty impressive project, and it's fun to see that there's been so much progress. Makes me wish I could build an UUV (or what they're called :)) but I have too many projects already :P
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

How are your projects developing?
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

I'm looking forward to seeing how well it swims. Its a very unusual design of ROV/AUV, usually the thrusters are fixed in the horizontal and vertical planes, ABE has swivel thrusters to manoeuvre in these planes.
johanar

Post by johanar »

jason wrote:How are your projects developing?
Mine? Everything is in stasis because of exams this week. Hoping to get started building my sumo robot once those are finished, but I also have a lot of other projects not involving microprocessors that never get done :P