Curios 101

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Curios 101

Post by Folknology »

Version: 0.9
License: Custom Licence

A board to make using Xmos XS1 more accessible, this smal versatile stamp like board enables the xmos device to be used in breadboarding and prototyping without the need to deal with its tricky FBGA packaging. This board can be used in different modes :
1) Breadboarding mode where it sits atop of 2 small breadboards and provides further GPIO/Servo headers

2) With mini daughter shields/boards in conjuction with above or stand alaone

3) Plugs into a motherboard for extra IO functionality or expansion.
This is a great board to get started with and includes a usfull XUD based usb connection, ADC inputs and servo headers.

phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

You're getting on with this fast!
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

Do you have the Eagle footprint for this one ?
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
kalinowski

Post by kalinowski »

This is exactly what I need. Do you plan to sell a finished boards?
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Sorry for slow replies up to my neck in it as usual :

@Phalt yup, although I'm having probs uploading new images, see your messages.

@lilltrol I added an Eagle library to the official XS1-SUI thread use at your own risk obviously, if you find any errors let me know, I didn't have any land pattern info from Xmos just used what I knew/could find about BGA 0.8mm patterns.

@kalinowski sure , but more worried about prototyping the test ones first (not done BGA before)

regards
Al
kalinowski

Post by kalinowski »

but more worried about prototyping the test ones first (not done BGA before)

try asking at xbox/play station repair places. They do graphic chips replacing so soldering one bga chip shouldn't be a problem if you provide stencil.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Sure But I was actually going to try placement by hand for the prototype, But I will use a stencil obviously.

regards
Al
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

HI folks I have updated the layout to a 40 pin rather than a 24 pin as it is more suited to this chip. Unfortunately I can't seem to upload the new layout pic so just follow the project website link to see changes and let me know. I still have to juggle around a few pins yet (loose a couple and add power out etc..), I am also assuming I can pull the same Partial Xtag trick that was used on the 48 dip design.

Anyhow, Take a look and let me know your thoughts

regards
Al
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Correction it is now a 42pin DIP including a hacked Xtag
That way I get all the pins on

regards
Al
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Ok the new design is up

This new design is much more flexible than the old Stamp format, let me highlight some features:

1) Breadboarding - At Folknology labs we have an Xmos prototyping system called Xi where we use multiple small breadboards to do agile proto and test cycles when we are exploring. The 101 has similar breadboarding support to Xi, we prefer this more flexible breadboard method.

2) Shields - The 101 supports double or sandwiched mini shields one on each side of the board, we like this because it gives us more IO Sides which is great for motor, control and robotics applications and prototypes.

3) Expansion - The 101 can itself fit onto a larger mother board which can be as large and complex as required, it can be SMD or through hole or any mixture and pretty much any size.

It also has some handy servo headers, ADC inputs, USB and channel expansion as well as optional JTAG headers.

I will be getting the first boards out for testing shortly, if you have any feedback or questions please feel free to respond.

regards
Al