X-One (An XC-2 video console)

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
TonyD
XCore Addict

X-One (An XC-2 video console)

Post by TonyD »

I just uploaded my development of the X-One to the projects page.

A Xmos XC-2 is found at the heart of the console with the VGA video provided by a R-2R DAC and Yvo's VDP-1 video engine.

I'm also planning to add PWM audio and SD Card interface with an Ethernet interface provided by the XC-2 card its self.

The design is very much a work in progress ;) but more screen shots of can be found on my blog page including some pictures of a short Manic Minerdemo as well.
manic-miner-on-x-one.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nagmier
Member++

Post by nagmier »

Wow great looking project! looks like you have gotten a pretty good start there!
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

nagmier wrote:Wow great looking project! looks like you have gotten a pretty good start there!
Thanks nagmier, the clever stuf is done by Yvo's VDP video engine.
The_RB

Post by The_RB »

Impressive project you made there TonyD! :)

I downloaded the VDP source code and had a look through, but my understanding of XMOS source code is almost nil (even though I have done video projects on other chips). I've only just changed acrobat reader to a new version so I can finally read the XS1 chip datasheets!

If you don't mind could you please post some specifics on how much of the XS1-G4 chips capacity is used or how this project was structured. Like is the pixel rate maxed at the 80nS I saw in the source code or could it run faster (ie smaller pixels)?

Would this run on a single core chip like the XS1-L1 or did you need multi cores? And any details on RAM allocation etc.

Thanks!
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

The_RB wrote:If you don't mind could you please post some specifics on how much of the XS1-G4 chips capacity is used or how this project was structured. Like is the pixel rate maxed at the 80nS I saw in the source code or could it run faster (ie smaller pixels)?

Would this run on a single core chip like the XS1-L1 or did you need multi cores?
Yvo's VDP video engine uses two threads: one for rendering and another for driving the display, with a third thread used as an communication thread.

VDP will run quite happily on a XS1-L1, if fact we have a design in the pipeline thats using a XS1-L1 64-pin. I'll post the what we've got on the design as a project and on my blog when I get some time.
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

TonyD wrote: VDP will run quite happily on a XS1-L1, if fact we have a design in the pipeline thats using a XS1-L1 64-pin. I'll post the what we've got on the design as a project and on my blog when I get some time.
As promised in the above post, heres a teaser for a XS1-L1 retro-minimalist homebrew game console

X-DTV 0v42.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

X-One, looks like a great start for games, did I tell you I like games.
When the gamers get there hands on this tech, XMOS, shall snobol.
Do you guys have any Idea's for the games communications. Say you
have a group over internet, you could make it into a most usefull WOW
client w/trick's. There's like millions of user at that place, lots of potential
clients, resource. I played so many games, they're so theme streamed.
I finally choose just one and that is, the computer as the game. It never ends.