GUI Editor

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
rp181
Respected Member

GUI Editor

Post by rp181 »

Who would be interested in a GUI drag and drop based XC programmer (java, multiplatform)?

This is mainly so I can learn the Netbeans Visual API. It would be able to do all basic programming. Based on the cli utilities XMOS provide, it also may be able to actually compile/run the program. Debugging, if not impossible, would be very difficult.

skoe
Experienced Member

Post by skoe »

I really prefer to write my programs in a text editor.

But if you want a playground: How about a good frontend for the debugger? Something like ddd or insight but with an up-to-date look and feel? Eclipse (XDE) has such a debugger GUI too, but it's bound to an Eclispe project and doesn't work stand-alone like ddd and insight.
bsmithyman
Experienced Member

Post by bsmithyman »

I think this is a fun idea, but probably mostly useful as an education tool; at the moment, the XMOS boards are a bit tricky for an intro to programming à la Arduino. Could be a good companion for the X-stamp idea that gets thrown around periodically.

The other use I can see would be a graphical tool for putting together things like filter pipelines (i.e. for DSP functions). This could be very handy if there was a large open source filter bank for XMOS, but that doesn't really exist yet.