New 10.4.2 warning in XFlash

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
kster59
XCore Addict

New 10.4.2 warning in XFlash

Post by kster59 »

In the latest 10.4.2 I get the following warning:
Warning: F03098 Factory image and boot loader cannot be protected on this device

I execute a JTAG disable and lock the device with the AES key using:
xrun --id 0 aes-programmer.xe

and it seems to be fine.

This warning isn't present in 10.4.1.

Also, xrun --id 0 aes-programmer.xe doesn't give any output or notification the program has finished which is quite annoying.

I programmed around 100 devices in a row and several of them needed to be locked twice.

One of the chips I had also executed programs fine but wouldn't lock no matter what I tried. Is this defect rate of 1% pretty normal?

bsmithyman
Experienced Member

Post by bsmithyman »

I can't speak to the specifics, but I have received this error using a W25X40A flash chip (earlier version of the W25X40B; same JEDEC ID). The same board and program does not cause an error on my AT25DF041A (I've got a removable socket on the board so I can swap in different parts). The W25X40A/B only gained support in 10.4.1 or 10.4.2 if I recall correctly. I'm not sure if that helps any in diagnosing.
kster59
XCore Addict

Post by kster59 »

Anyone from xmos staff comment on what this warning means?
m_y
Experienced Member

Post by m_y »

kster59 wrote:Warning: F03098 Factory image and boot loader cannot be protected on this device
On some SPI flash devices there is per-sector write protection. In these cases the boot loader and the factory image are made read only. On most devices this is not possible (only full device protection or some kind of super-block protection) and so this warning is issued.

It has nothing to do with encryption and the secure boot options.