Howto get clock value back

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
mmar
Experienced Member

Howto get clock value back

Post by mmar »

Whe is used configure_clock_rate_at_least(clock clk, unsigned a, unsigned b); or at_most
howto get unsigned clock value ???

CousinItt
Respected Member

Post by CousinItt »

According to most documentation, configure_clock_rate_at_least(clk, a, b) configures a clock to run at the slowest rate supported by the hardware that is equal to or exceeds (a/b) MHz. An exception is raised if no rate satisfies this criterion.

Some documentation says a 100 MHz clock is needed to guarantee correct operation of this function.
mmar
Experienced Member

Post by mmar »

Ahh this i read and how is slowest rate supported by the hardware without exception ? And yes ref is 100M.
CousinItt
Respected Member

Post by CousinItt »

I don't know for sure. The clock block divider is 8 bits wide, and I think there is a /2 prescaler when the divider is used, so I assume the lowest ratio would be /512 (or maybe /510, near enough). I guess if you wanted even slower operation you could drop the tile clock first.
mmar
Experienced Member

Post by mmar »

I test configure_clock_rate_at_least(cbspi, 100, 2); configure_clock_rate_at_least(cbspi, 100, 3); configure_clock_rate_at_least(cbspi, 100, 4); ...
In simulator clock rises ok, but i need number or macro to know this clock.
Attachments
xgr4.png
(6.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
xgr4.png
(6.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
xgr3.png
(8.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
xgr3.png
(8.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
xgr2.png
(6.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
xgr2.png
(6.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
akp
XCore Expert

Post by akp »

I suggest you set the divider directly using configure_clock_rate(). That way if your code doesn't raise an exception you know precisely what your divider is, and therefore what your clock rate is if you know the reference clock.
mmar
Experienced Member

Post by mmar »

Sorry , but i dont ask how work configure_clock_rate(). Your idea is about constant clk, but my code for example can communicate and get speed request from other device, then need configure at MOST LEAST clk and reply to device how this speed is, and change this on the fly.

XS1 lib have this void functions years ago , but why is void ?
akp
XCore Expert

Post by akp »

Sure, OK. I see. There's an assembly instruction called getd, check out the ISA. I suspect you should be able to get the clock block divider value if you execute that instruction on the clock block. Then you can compute the actual clock block frequency if you know the reference frequency. I've never used this instruction but it should be possible.