lib_ethernet debug_printf() not working

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
nippoo
New User

lib_ethernet debug_printf() not working

Post by nippoo »

Hey all,

I'm having an issue getting the AN00241 lib_ethernet example working on a custom XMOS board (XEF216-512-TQ128-C20, with a KZ9131 PHY). (I've successfully run other code on this board, including the lib_xua examples with audio output, so the XMOS/XSYS interface itself is fine, there's probably just some issues with the PHY I'm using, so I want to debug)

I'm using an xTAG-3 programmer on Mac OS X Ventura with the latest XTC_15.2.1.

My problem is that I can't get any debug_printf() messages to show, and it seems like the board itself refuses to run/hangs when I try run it in --xscope mode.

Steps to reproduce:

Downloading the latest GitHub lib_ethernet (and other needed libraries)

cd lib_ethernet/examples/AN00241_gigabit_ethernet_demo_slicekit
make all
xrun bin/AN00241_gigabit_ethernet_demo_slicekit.xe

This appears to run properly (putting physical probes on the board shows that GPIO is changing state as expected).

However if I instead do

xrun --xscope bin/AN00241_gigabit_ethernet_demo_slicekit.xe

then I never see any debug_printf() messages, even if I put them at the top of every main function called and it appears like the program is not even running / the GPIO does not toggle as expected.

I have tried xgdb, with 'connect' / 'load' / 'c', and the program appears to run, but there is still no debug output, and there are also no line numbers so I can't add any breakpoints. I've removed the -O3 flag, added -g everywhere I can (including in lib_ethernet), as well as -fxscope and -DDEBUG_PRINT_ENABLE=1 but still no cigar.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very grateful!

CousinItt
Respected Member

Post by CousinItt »

Does your hardware provide the xlink connections to the xTAG connector, and is the port declaration in your XN file consistent with the hardware?

Also, have you tried a completely stripped down test program that just contains a debug_print()? Better to establish that it is working in isolation.