Dynamic rescheduler

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
DrMario
Member++

Dynamic rescheduler

Post by DrMario »

While reading the technical sheet, I was thinking "what if I inpement the Delayed Issue for stuck threads or those containing exactly the same tinstructions but different header (input) data?"

Out-of-Order Execution may be possible, but not without efforts in understanding how the XS1 chip's Integer Units work, and it would all boil down to how I would write the software for the CPU itself.

Why would I want to perform Out-of-Order Thread Executions? Simple, I was seeking to squeeze a bit more out tof this chip and also to reduce the chance of wasted CPU cycles.

Just my two cents.

P.S. Anybody recommend the link C++ compiler for Code:Block to program the XS1 chip?

Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

DrMario,

Great to see you here.

I think you might have to explain more what you mean by "out of order execution".

Normally this term is used to describe the way a processor with a pipeline might execute your instructions in an order different to that in the actual binary code. Say performing a integer operation on processor registers whilst an op that needs data from RAM waits for it's operands to arrive. If I understand correctly.

In that case it is not something a programmer has any control over.

So what is it you are actually wanting to do?
DrMario
Member++

Post by DrMario »

Basically, it's to deal with "frozen" threads, which it would have to be either reissued into different CPU core or into idle thread core (Integer Unit) in the core.

The reason I am wondering is that I am developing my own supercomputer, Dendou Oni - i am sure, heater, that you may have known about that. I am planning to use XS1-G4 to be assigned as accelerator units on the same board as Propeller II chips - to speed the integer / floating point of already-busy props. The chip to be paired with it was the post appealing idea I have ever have had. leon really nailed it first.

BTW, I am still trying to pick what the compiler is the best to use Code:Block with - I like Code:Block since I can assume full control of the programming environments in C++, like writing the boot firmware for both Propeller (already have Catalina, but still couldn't link for funny reasons, though) and XS1 chips.
Mamma-Mia, It's a-chip! It's XS1-G4, a-wonderful!