New look XMOS

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.
yzoer
XCore Addict

Post by yzoer »

SpacedCowboy wrote:Whoops - no, that's for the entire site (!) http://xmos.com is apparently offline. Whoever your website company is, you need to sack them and get another. Basic functionality includes staging a website to a test URL such that you 'flip a switch' to make it go live. There should not be downtime like this.
Either that or they did what digikey did after their site revamp: The reverted it back! Maybe we were a bit too harsh?

SpacedCowboy
Experienced Member

Post by SpacedCowboy »

yzoer wrote:
SpacedCowboy wrote:Whoops - no, that's for the entire site (!) http://xmos.com is apparently offline. Whoever your website company is, you need to sack them and get another. Basic functionality includes staging a website to a test URL such that you 'flip a switch' to make it go live. There should not be downtime like this.
Either that or they did what digikey did after their site revamp: The reverted it back! Maybe we were a bit too harsh?
Well, at least over here in CA, the site is just down. All I see for any URL is "The service is not available. Please try again later." in small black text on a white background. I'm pretty sure it's not a caching issue either (tried the shift-reload thing, and even opened up a different browser to try it there).

When I was doing websites about 13 years ago, we had sites like Euromoney, the London Metal Exchange, BA, MTV, etc. If any of those were down for more than 5 seconds, I was paged. I wasn't keen on being paged (being keen on actually having a life), so they were very (very!) rarely down. It costs a bit more to put in the procedures and the failsafes, but it's worth it.

And no, we weren't harsh, this just looks amateurish. I could *be* harsh if it's required [grin] :)

Simon
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Guys the site is still down and I can't get to the data I need, I am sure you are probably having a few issue with the new site and all but come on
The service is not available. Please try again later
really, what the whole thing, even the product data!

regards
Al
Gravis
Experienced Member

Post by Gravis »

the page is back up... but still the same. :/

btw, when picking an avatar for a blog, be sure it properly resized... so that it's not 1.9MB! http://www.xmos.com/blog
Gravis
Experienced Member

Post by Gravis »

from: http://www.xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1925
jason wrote:I have got to say, I am loving the new XMOS.com website that has appeared today. Very sexy - the new colour palette is much cleaner on the eye, and the introduction video is BEAUTIFUL! I was hoping for a video like this a few years ago, but really glad to see it finally happened! Keep up the great work guys. PS is the video up on YouTube? I want to post it to the world on Google+
but that is the problem, it's just pretty and hard to access real content. content > looks

check out other chip maker sites and you will see that getting to the content is a single click, not a click-your-own-adventure to get what you want.

and the naming scheme screams, "we care about marketing more than technology".

i may be the most vocal person in the thread but i'm just expressing what other people are thinking and saying elsewhere.
Last edited by Gravis on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yzoer
XCore Addict

Post by yzoer »

I think the problem is that the new website is trying to appeal to a wider audience, rather than engineers. While we patiently wait for that to happen, it'll be interesting to see what happens to the site's traffic overall.

I highly recommend putting metrics on the site to log visitor time-on-page, mouse-movement and behavior and take it from there..

-Yvo
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

Good job XMOS, I love the new rebranding.

Navigation is an issue that can never fully please the different visitors to the site.
From what I can see, XMOS have focussed on the customer / explaining their purpose more than the developer in this new design, but I think that is needed in order for them to get their household name established!

I'm sure they'll be taking feedback from the community guys and iterating their design over the next few weeks.
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

phalt wrote:Navigation is an issue that can never fully please the different visitors to the site.
Of course. But it should be possible to eventually find what you are
looking for!

I cannot find the most important document, which used to be prominently
featured, "The XS1 Architecture". I clicked all checkboxes on all "resources"
pages, no luck. And the search box gives an empty result list. Maybe I'm
just blind, dunno.

Having a magic "remove all the newspeak" button would reduce annoyance
levels as well, but alas, that's probably too much to hope for :-(
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

segher wrote: I cannot find the most important document, which used to be prominently
featured, "The XS1 Architecture". I clicked all checkboxes on all "resources"
pages, no luck. And the search box gives an empty result list. Maybe I'm
just blind, dunno.
When I put your text into the search on the front page it is the first link displayed? Following that takes you to the document?
tomcarter259
Member++

Post by tomcarter259 »

I like the idea of the XMOS blog to give a more personal insight into the company. I think you need to display the name of the person who wrote the post though. We can see their photo but have no idea who they are