Absolutely new to XMOS!

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
Andrea1977
New User

Absolutely new to XMOS!

Post by Andrea1977 »

Hi Guys!
Totally new to XMOS platform! Need some advice just to start and to see if these chips will do the job!
We would like to expand our line of products (we are a musical instruments company) and we would like to use something different from the past.
Actually we have a platform running with ARM and linux (ubuntu server based) with the old PCM290x from TI and a dedicated Atmel for midi: we are able to run all this stuff together using ALSA and RTAudio because we need low latency for real time audio. We survived PCM290x limitations but now we need something more:

1) Audio input
2) 2 stereo line outputs
3) PCM290x samping rate not enough :-)

So, here we are with my questions...

Can you please direct me to the right XMOS chip that will offer this? How about coding for Linux/Arm platform... is there something we can see and adapt for us? What's the right development board to start with? The good thing about PCM290x is that is natively supported by linux/ARM, we are not able to write drivers for linux unfortunately!

Sorry for all questions but, even if XMOS web pages are full of informations, maybe I'm not able to find the right section or the right way to start with this! I tried to contact the distributor in my country but, apart from selling contact and quotations they are not able to give us technical and development informations: I see lot of companies using XMos and I'm quite sure they will do the job but in this moment I'm stuck with this... any help is really appreciated!

Thanks!

Andrea

johned
XCore Addict

Post by johned »

Hi Andrea,
Welcome to XMOS.
I would recommend our xCORE-200 Multichannel Audio Platform, which supports 8in/8out : https://www.xmos.com/support/boards?product=18334.
This platform supports sampling rates upto 192 kHz but the USB audio firmware that you can download supports PCM 384k and DSD.
Tools for Windows, MAC and Linux are available here : https://www.xmos.com/tools.
Best regards,
John
Andrea1977
New User

Post by Andrea1977 »

Many thanks for your reply!
Unfortunately I still have some doubts:
1) xTime composer: this seems a programming tool or IDE... I can't understand what's for... I need to program this device? Exactly what kind of stuff I need to program on it to make it work? For example I can put algos on it for effects or something?
2) Basically what we need is a replacement for PCM2906 codec... this device is not programmable... so we need to program those chips from XMOS? What we need to do will be a simple CODEC connected to our system (ARM with linux) with USB.
3) If we need to program them, this shouldn't be a problem but I need to know this before put my efforts on this. As I wrote in my presentation email, this chip will be connected to our system that is based on Linux and ARM and we are not able to write drivers for linux... is linux/ARM/Ubuntu able to see the device out-of-the-box? If not, does someone have experience for this, for example raspberry?

A big thanks!

Andrea
johned
XCore Addict

Post by johned »

Hi Andrea,

Our device is a programmable microcontroller that can interface to codecs so you need to program the device to meet your requirement.
That said, the USB Audio Reference design can be downloaded from the page I sent you and you then reconfigure it for your requirements.
Yes, you can also add your own DSP algorithms.
You do not need a driver to connect to our USB Audio design from Linux.

Best regards,
John
jalajgupta1604

Post by jalajgupta1604 »

Helllo
i have xcore -200 MC audio board and i perches it for 8 chanel usb audio in and out but the problem is that i could not be able to connect it neither USB A connector not USB B connector in windows and linux as well. but i have downloaded xtime composer studio for programming and using xTAG i could able to program the micro controller. but my aim is to take input audio from usb and want to and output from analog out or usb out.can anyone help me and suggest me something.