Volume Control?

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
akp
Respected Member

Re: Volume Control?

Postby akp » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:06 pm

Of course on reflection I don't know the math Windows, Mac or Linux do, they may well do it crappy.
Wavelength

Postby Wavelength » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Akp,

Correct this is not a high end audio forum. But it is one of the first XMOS protocols supported. I remember more than 10 years ago when Ali and I spent a couple of days hashing out the first version of the USB->I2S code.

But this could be helpful to designers reading this! DAC chips these days are all single bit, well single bit or up to six bits. The interpolation of PCM data to these streams requires a lot of data. But the interface is still set to 32 bits maximum. So doing 64 bit math in the XMOS is just not useful. In the DAC chip itself though, the interpolation of the input sample to the output bit stream can benefit from use of a volume control there. Just like it's better not to do it in the box regardless if it is Windows which uses a 0-100% signal or Apple which adheres to to whatever the interface warrants.

Really any company who optimizes the entire product with these things in mind will end up with a better product and that is all I am after.

Thanks,
Gordon
Wavelength Audio, ltd.