How to get started with startKIT

All technical discussions and projects around startKIT
patolin
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:56 am

Re: How to get started with startKIT

Postby patolin » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:09 pm

Nice. I can live with the 3.3v signals, and I will give a try to the included ADC.
patolin
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:56 am

Postby patolin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:01 pm

I tested the board and it looks promising. Made a little tests using gpio and its pretty easy to understand. I code a little "hello world" led blinking app, and its fine.

I just cant get any example (or clear reference) about how to code the adc input. Is there any example code about how to read the adc and show that value in the console?
AJB2K3
Member++
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Postby AJB2K3 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:02 pm

patolin wrote:I tested the board and it looks promising. Made a little tests using gpio and its pretty easy to understand. I code a little "hello world" led blinking app, and its fine.

I just cant get any example (or clear reference) about how to code the adc input. Is there any example code about how to read the adc and show that value in the console?
Care to post your code for it?

Nevermind, I solved my problem, forgot to include a file!
Phrewfuf
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Postby Phrewfuf » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:20 am

Just played around with mine after solving the issue of a non-running IDE (Error messages are apparently hard to implement, just as decent executables instead of .bat files).

The board is awesome, it boasts a ton of fancy functions, the multicore architecture is cool and easy to use, i expected it to be serious voodoo. Props for that.

Now the documentation...i'd rather not talk about it.
Seriously guys, your docu is bad. Like, really bad.
At first i spent about an hour looking on how to use/import modules in my projects. I haven't found the solution. All i found was "using library modules is just like using source modules" which is not helping at all.

Then i tried to find out which pins of the slice connector boast the I2S interface. No joy, the only info in the hardware guide are the fancy names of the chip's pins which are only useful if you have the datasheet.

Oh yeah, datasheet is missing, too. Why isn't it next to the link to the hardware guide? How can i properly use a piece of hardware without knowing everything about it? Let's talk economy here: How is a company who is thinking about buying your hardware in bulk supposed to evaluate your product without even something as simple as a datasheet?
AJB2K3
Member++
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Postby AJB2K3 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:48 am

Phrewfuf wrote: Then i tried to find out which pins of the slice connector boast the I2S interface. No joy, the only info in the hardware guide are the fancy names of the chip's pins which are only useful if you have the datasheet.
From what I understand, it is because there is no set pin config. I2C can use any of the 1 bit ports, you define which pin does which in your program (if I understand what I was told).
User avatar
Bianco
XCore Expert
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:56 pm

Postby Bianco » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:20 am

AJB2K3 wrote:
Phrewfuf wrote: Then i tried to find out which pins of the slice connector boast the I2S interface. No joy, the only info in the hardware guide are the fancy names of the chip's pins which are only useful if you have the datasheet.
From what I understand, it is because there is no set pin config. I2C can use any of the 1 bit ports, you define which pin does which in your program (if I understand what I was told).
That is true (even though he mentions I2S and not I2C).
The idea about XMOS is that you implement peripherals using software from simple ones up to say an ethernet MAC.
User avatar
Bianco
XCore Expert
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:56 pm

Postby Bianco » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:35 am

Phrewfuf wrote:Just played around with mine after solving the issue of a non-running IDE (Error messages are apparently hard to implement, just as decent executables instead of .bat files).

The board is awesome, it boasts a ton of fancy functions, the multicore architecture is cool and easy to use, i expected it to be serious voodoo. Props for that.

Now the documentation...i'd rather not talk about it.
Seriously guys, your docu is bad. Like, really bad.
At first i spent about an hour looking on how to use/import modules in my projects. I haven't found the solution. All i found was "using library modules is just like using source modules" which is not helping at all.

Then i tried to find out which pins of the slice connector boast the I2S interface. No joy, the only info in the hardware guide are the fancy names of the chip's pins which are only useful if you have the datasheet.

Oh yeah, datasheet is missing, too. Why isn't it next to the link to the hardware guide? How can i properly use a piece of hardware without knowing everything about it? Let's talk economy here: How is a company who is thinking about buying your hardware in bulk supposed to evaluate your product without even something as simple as a datasheet?
The datasheet is 'missing' because the device named in the startKIT is 'non-existing'
in the sense that it is not for sale in the current configuration. The device used on the startkit is a 2-tile 16-logical core device (XS1-A16A-128-FB217) from which one tile and the USB interface is dedicated to the debugging interface. Without the dedicated debugging interface you would need to buy an external JTAG debugger such as the XTAG2. One tile is available to the programmer. It would be confusing if this datasheet is just put on the startKIT site. But I also understand that the other way around can be confusing too. The port map in the startKIT hardware manual is extremely important and in most cases all you need to write your software!

Furthermore addressed to everyone starting with the startKIT, don't just look at the startKIT minisite but also check the documentation section of the XMOS site: https://www.xmos.com/en/support/documentation and also take a look at the github repository, for example the startkit examples
Phrewfuf
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Postby Phrewfuf » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:44 pm

Bianco wrote:from which one tile and the USB interface is dedicated to the debugging interface.
Wait, does this mean i can't use the USB interface in my applications?
User avatar
Bianco
XCore Expert
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:56 pm

Postby Bianco » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Phrewfuf wrote:
Bianco wrote:from which one tile and the USB interface is dedicated to the debugging interface.
Wait, does this mean i can't use the USB interface in my applications?
yup
Phrewfuf
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Postby Phrewfuf » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Damn, there goes my plan on building an audio device :(

Thanks for the info, btw.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests