xcore array microphone output on audio jack Topic is solved

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
shaileshwankhede
Experienced Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:30 pm

xcore array microphone output on audio jack

Postby shaileshwankhede » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:46 pm

Hi,
I recently purchased xcore array microphone board. When connected to windows system it was not detecting by default as usb audio. Then I flashed sw_usb_audio/app_usb_aud_mic_array example using xTimeComposer studio and then it started detcting as usb audio device. I had no problem recording audio using PC voice recorder app. This means usb host is requesting mic array output and recording. But I am expecting same mic array output directly over Audio Out 3.5 mm jack. Is this possible?

Which firmware I need to flash for this purpose or do I need to make any configuration changes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am running out of time!

Thanks,
Shailesh
View Solution
User avatar
andrewxcav
Active Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:10 pm

Postby andrewxcav » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:46 pm

shaileshwankhede wrote:Hi,
I recently purchased xcore array microphone board. When connected to windows system it was not detecting by default as usb audio. Then I flashed sw_usb_audio/app_usb_aud_mic_array example using xTimeComposer studio and then it started detcting as usb audio device.
Which build configuration did you flash? (1i8o2 or 2i802)
What version of Windows are you running?
shaileshwankhede wrote: I had no problem recording audio using PC voice recorder app. This means usb host is requesting mic array output and recording. But I am expecting same mic array output directly over Audio Out 3.5 mm jack. Is this possible?
This is possible, and should come up but default.
shaileshwankhede wrote: Which firmware I need to flash for this purpose or do I need to make any configuration changes?
Either firmware should work, but the .xe file in the bin/1i8o2 folder is probably the safest bet. Just make sure you are not trying to record anything higher than 44.1 kHz.
shaileshwankhede wrote: Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am running out of time!

Thanks,
Shailesh
[/quote]

The main thing would be to verify all of your Windows sound mixer settings on both capture and playback. Start with a conservative sample rate like 16 kHz. (what Windows calls "tape recorder quality") for both recording and playback.

To get to these settings right click on the volume icon in your system tray, select recording/playback devices, and right click on the XMOS device for each to set its sample rate, volume, etc.

Good Luck!

-Andrew
User avatar
andrewxcav
Active Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:10 pm

Postby andrewxcav » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:55 pm

I forgot to mention:

Make sure you have the USB audio driver installed on the Windows host machine:

http://www.xmos.com/support/usb-audio-driver-support

If you still cannot get playback working, try installing Audacity. It's not the world's best bit of software, but it does give you explicit drop-down menus for capture/playback devices and numbers of channels...

http://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/
shaileshwankhede
Experienced Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:30 pm

Postby shaileshwankhede » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:55 pm

andrewxcav wrote:I forgot to mention:

Make sure you have the USB audio driver installed on the Windows host machine:

http://www.xmos.com/support/usb-audio-driver-support

If you still cannot get playback working, try installing Audacity. It's not the world's best bit of software, but it does give you explicit drop-down menus for capture/playback devices and numbers of channels...

http://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/
Thanks andrewxcav for such a quick response.

I did installed USB audio driver and have flashed correct bin/1i8o2.
I tried changing sampling frequency to 16KHz for xmos usb audio device as mic. But couldn't get playback on xmos. I can change usb audio device to PC's internal Realtek high definition audio to listen to playback. But with xmos as usb audio device (ouput) it system shows message - recording can't be played.

Now another question how can I declare xmos mic array device as just usb audio INPUT device but not output device.
Application is I need to use xmos mic array board as usb mic to one of the board running android lollipop version for some telephony application. I have HDMI output which will also act as speaker.
When I connect xmos, audio output not routed to hdmi.

Thanks,
Shailesh
User avatar
andrewxcav
Active Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:10 pm

Postby andrewxcav » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Using the mic array for input only is doable. The specifics will boil down to whatever audio api is available to you on lollipop.

Would your first choice be to have the playback cone over the mic array board? If so any nasty audio code you write for the host interface should port more easily to other boards.

Also, what versions of the xmos software are you using?
shaileshwankhede
Experienced Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:30 pm

Postby shaileshwankhede » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:12 pm

Hi,

It looks like some issue with my windows system.
Now when I checked with android lollipop device both usb audio in (mic) and out (headphone jack) are working.
And that is sufficient for my application :-)

Sorry to bother.

Thanks,
Shailesh
User avatar
andrewxcav
Active Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:10 pm

Postby andrewxcav » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:19 pm

No bother, I am sure this thread will serve as a reference to someone with a similar issue.

Glad it's working now!

-Andrew
shaileshwankhede
Experienced Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:30 pm

Postby shaileshwankhede » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:53 pm

Hi Andrew,

We are now trying to use xcore array microphone with Cubieboard which have KitKat (Android-4.4.4). But since usb audio official support was included only after 5.0, we cannot access xmos mic directly. What can be done to enable usb audio interface with xmos mic?

We could try some 3rd party usb audio recording apps like AudioFi and USBAudioRecorder (they probably wrote custom host drivers) etc with some usb webcam which defines a separate device as USB audio in. But those applications doesn't work with xmos (There seems to be problem the way descriptors are defined).

Did xmos developed any android application or library that proves its usability with android lower versions probably using libusb?

Thanks,
Shailesh
User avatar
andrewxcav
Active Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:10 pm

Postby andrewxcav » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:01 pm

I am not sure about legacy Android drivers. However, a walk-before-run approach may be to try this configuration on the same board, but running Arch or Fedora.

Also, is there any reason you can't use a newer version of Android? (I am guessing it has to do with board support on the Cubie board side...)
shaileshwankhede
Experienced Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:30 pm

Postby shaileshwankhede » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:01 pm

andrewxcav wrote:I am not sure about legacy Android drivers. However, a walk-before-run approach may be to try this configuration on the same board, but running Arch or Fedora.

Also, is there any reason you can't use a newer version of Android? (I am guessing it has to do with board support on the Cubie board side...)
Higher version of android is not yet released for Cubieboard. Building fresh aosp with lollipop or higher version will be too time extensive.

With one of the application on KitKat with custom host driver do support usb audio 1.0. Do you have any fallback from 2.0 to 1.0 or how can we straightaway configure xmos mic array for audio class 1.0? Is there any configuration or core config changes for declaring xmos mic array as just usb audio IN device (MIC)?

Thanks,
Shailesh

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests