40pin DIP Module Using XS1-L1-48

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
DrNO
Member++

Post by DrNO »

Hey guys, I ordered some 'Proof of Concept' PCB's based on Corins schematic and parts list but with my own board layout (wanted to try it myself). They definitely don't look as beautiful as Corin's but it seems to work. The video below is just to show off what it looks like and prove that it talks with the XTAG2.

http://youtu.be/SWTq0iJN5-U

BTW Corin, I'm sorry if I'm pronouncing your name incorrectly :oops:

Brilldea

Post by Brilldea »

Nice work DrNo. Tell us more about the design. What layout software did you use? Why create your own board?

The video looks great, I'm glad you are making progress and sharing it with the community.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Nice work, its great to see the Xmos Dip in operation.

regards
Al
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

DrNO wrote:Hey guys, I ordered some 'Proof of Concept' PCB's based on Corins schematic and parts list but with my own board layout (wanted to try it myself). They definitely don't look as beautiful as Corin's but it seems to work. The video below is just to show off what it looks like and prove that it talks with the XTAG2.

http://youtu.be/SWTq0iJN5-U

BTW Corin, I'm sorry if I'm pronouncing your name incorrectly :oops:

You're pronouncing his name right :)

This is brilliant work! It's nice to see some descriptive videos of projects that people are working on. I'm gonna get this tweeted on the XMOS twitter account ;D
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

Really pleased to see progress is being made on the 40pin DIP :) Even happier to hear of the plan to make them stackable (presumably to create larger networks). Do you intend to do this in the way Berni suggested, with the board side on?
kalinowski

Post by kalinowski »

Hello,

I've just joined and I'm looking for beginner's development tools. This looks like a perfect solution so I keep my fingers crossed for your project drNo. Stacking modules sounds awesome.

ps. do you plan to include usb connector on board?
DrNO
Member++

Post by DrNO »

@Brilldea
I just used EAGLE to create the schematic and then layout the board. Because I've always heard never trust someone elses library, I created my own library by looking for the land patterns and schematics for each part that Corin uses. The main reason I created my own board is because I wanted to learn how the process worked, especially since I plan to improve the design a bit.

@DanB
I'm trying to make these boards as flexible as possible so that they can be used in projects that require expansion of cores and minimizing the size. Berni's idea is exactly what i'm going for but I'm looking to do it with flexible connectors so that it could be arranged according to the project requirements along with keeping the thickness of the board small too. The connectors that the XK-1A uses would probably triple the boards thickness.

@kalinoswki
Welcome to the community! After reading through all of the posts under this topic it seems like the idea is to keep it as simple as possible and just require an external programmer like the XTAG2.

Ok so since I have a baseline for the design (thanks to Corin) does anyone have any suggestions for adding features? For example I've considered adding a mini-usb connection for power supply and the added possibility for creating your own USB interface on one of the threads (not for the JTAG though). I've even considered the idea of adding some more components to allow a 5V output and 3.3V output usable with the rest of your project.
Brilldea

Post by Brilldea »

I've been building up my schematic and board layout for an XMOS Multiplate (https://www.xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1642 and I have found that the footprint in the data sheet for the crystal oscillator seems overly large compared to the device.

Corin - When I look at the picture of the XMOS produced DIP, it appears that perhaps you made a smaller foot print. If so, what did you use and do you recommend it?

DrNO - I suspect you used the data sheets recommended footprint based on what I see in the video, can you confirm this? Your PCB looks like what I would expect it to look like with extra shiny silver (solder and pad) surrounding the device.

With your feedback I will modify my footprint (or not). Thanks guys.

-Tim
DrNO
Member++

Post by DrNO »

Yes it was a little big, I've scaled down the bad size for my next revision.