XC-3 source code as open source?

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

XC-3 source code as open source?

Post by Interactive_Matter »

Hi,

I am currently in the complete insane process of porting the XC-3 source to the XC-2 Hardware (more output pins, so just on module needed).

In the mean time I am also implementing some HL1606 driver for the XC-3 kit.

I do not know what the business value of the XC-3 software is. But wouldn't it be a great idea to release this software as open source so that my changes and adaptions can be usefull for others?

Since I am using this software (hopefully) for a number of projects I would also try to incorporate some improvements (at least in structure, at least from my point of view).

The current license is quite restrictive: All the code belongs to XMOS and I am only allowed to use it for XMOS devices - in theory I am not really sure if I am allowed to edit it.

Another question from my side: Would it be OK if I document the different protocols (network & internal) public?

jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

I'm pretty sure - someone at XMOS can confirm - that the code is considered by XMOS released under the terms of their Open Software License - the same license as used for the new Open Source Project. Unfortunately, the download available from the website includes a EULA that is far more restrictive (painfully so). But I believe this EULA has in fact been phased out and should no longer be in place for any code downloaded/downloadable from the XMOS website.

Replacing/removing this EULA was certainly the stated intention around 9 months ago when I last raised this issue with XMOS (and also the stated intention when I first raised this issue with XMOS around 2 years ago) so unless there has been a change of policy, I think the code should be considered "open" and released under the relevant open software license referred to repeatedly on the XMOS website...

I think you should feel confident changing the code as you see fit and publishing your changes.

However, someone from XMOS should really confirm this for you to be absolutely sure.
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

Post by Interactive_Matter »

jonathan wrote:I'm pretty sure - someone at XMOS can confirm - that the code is considered by XMOS released under the terms of their Open Software License - the same license as used for the new Open Source Project. Unfortunately, the download available from the website includes a EULA that is far more restrictive (painfully so). But I believe this EULA has in fact been phased out and should no longer be in place for any code downloaded/downloadable from the XMOS website.

I think you should feel confident changing the code as you see fit and publishing your changes.

However, someone from XMOS should really confirm this for you to be absolutely sure.
Thanks for you answer. I would have understood if XMOS says 'LED tiles are a critical business field for us and by that this and that part of the code has to remain closed'. That would be understandable for Audio or iPodstuff but not really for LED Tiles ;)
But then there is so much limited activity around that code - that it seemed improbable to me.
I will rise that issue with XMOS and see what the result is. Because I really, positively do not want to post the code publicly without any permission from XMOS.

Hope the process does not take another 2 years ;)