The USB cables in the dev kits

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
BrianMiller

The USB cables in the dev kits

Post by BrianMiller »

I have two of the XC-2 kits and one XC-1A. The usb cables work fine with all of them but I noticed that on other peripherals the cables often don't work. In one instance I had the XC-2 wired up to a breadboard with a bunch of leads and the cable spontaneously decided to retract causing a short on the power rail. No damage done but scary none the less. I've done some USB work in the past and from the specifications on the cabling, there should be shielding. I hate to say it, but the USB cables on the devkits really suck, though they fit nicely in the foam.

leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

Those cables have a poor reputation for reliability, the stress caused by the lead being wound and unwound damages them eventually. I seem to have acquired about a dozen of the 'proper' ones (they seem to breed like wire coat hangers), so I always use one of those.

Leon
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

leon_heller wrote: I seem to have acquired about a dozen of the 'proper' ones (they seem to breed like wire coat hangers)
Hmm, maybe that explains where all our ones in the office have gone - ours seem to disappear like socks!
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Yeah when i first tock that thing in my hands i was surprised how thin the wire is and doesn't seam to be twisted pair eater. But i had no problems plunging other stuff on it, we will see how long it lasts. I don't mind since i have lots of other miniUSB cables laying around.