Idea aboutrun Asterisk VOIP with XMOS

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
nassim
Experienced Member

Idea aboutrun Asterisk VOIP with XMOS

Post by nassim »

Hi all

I am new in this technologies XMOS (Kits and Tools) and i use IP core (HDL description) to build a SOC (System on Chip) in FPGA to run an Linux (uclinux) and Asterisk embedded or using FPGA as FXO/FXS to communicate with other device (telephone fax pc ..)
my SOC include CPU,UART,ETHMAC, SPI, DDR SDRAM and ROM

So my question is, can i use XMOS for this application or there is another solution for VOIP application.

thanks and i will be happy to help me or join to a project has the same goal.

thanks

Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Short answer no.

You cant really run linux or and OS like that on the xmos also there is no external memory bus so you only got the 64KB of memory per core. You can connect an ram chip to the i/o pins but its slower and cannot be used for program memory (unless you are running an interpreter) I think you are best off using some sort of ARM as they do run various OS and have external memory buses and being voip i'm guessing low power usage is something you need too.
nassim
Experienced Member

Post by nassim »

Hi berni

thanks for you quick replay, ok now i see so i can't add to kit an external memory

so, if i using as digium board PBX (http://www.digium.com/en/products/digital/) and connect him to Host (PC) throat RG45 (LAN) or PCI and Asterisk is installed in PC and configure asterisk to connect to XMOS as Driver card.

So what you think
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

Another short answer - I would be very surprised if the XMOS chip couldn't handle a VOIP implementation. Handling it with the kind of stack you are using is not going to happen though...

Without looking at the specific package you wanted to run, I doubt it could easily be tailored to run on the XMOS architecture. You would have to write your own VOIP implementation for XMOS.

Has no-one done this yet?
nassim
Experienced Member

Post by nassim »

hi jonathan

thanks jonathan and i am happy for all this explication.

=> You would have to write your own VOIP implementation for XMOS.<=

i will see after read carfully and learn how to use this new technologie for me.

thanks all
Andy
Respected Member

Post by Andy »

Writing your own VOIP protocol is pretty useless if you can't talk to the majority of devices out there.

The industry standard is the SIP protocol. I've looked into it and it should be possible to implement a basic stack on an Xcore.
nassim
Experienced Member

Post by nassim »

Hi Andy

thanks for join as in this discussion and i see you have many Idea for this project

So i just creat a group XVOIP to talk about all idea and sollution for VOIP application you are welecom and maybe with participation of other member we can do this project and better.

thank you gays for all this replay and you are welcome to my our group XVOIP.

thanks
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

Andy wrote:Writing your own VOIP protocol is pretty useless if you can't talk to the majority of devices out there.

The industry standard is the SIP protocol. I've looked into it and it should be possible to implement a basic stack on an Xcore.
Yup +1.

I wasn't suggesting you invent your own protocol... merely that you will need your own implementation of the stack.
nassim
Experienced Member

Post by nassim »

i put this photo to see the goal of the idea.

skoe
Experienced Member

Post by skoe »

You may want to have a look at oSIP. I use it for several years now and it's stable and well documented. If you don't know the SIP protocol very well you should consider to use a higher level implementation (a so-called User Agent) like eXosip in addition to oSIP.

I don't know if there are even smaller SIP stacks out there, but this one is plain C already instead of C++ which is used by some implementations.

I had a look at the picture: Do you really want to terminate SIP in the XMOS? Could be done in the PC next to it possibly.