Parallel Processing PLCs

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
franksanderdo
Experienced Member

Post by franksanderdo »

Hi and Hello,

yes you are right ;) (about the amount of systems)

Even though there are no rules defined (yet), I have decided to implement MODBUS first and go from there.
To implement all of them will be possible BUT needs a lot of time and some support from Vendors.

My bigger issue is to get the communication between the XPLCs robust AND fast.
As the Idea is to use each of the PLCs as remote IO (gaining cables in field) I have to define some thing very stable there. Unfortunately in industrial environment robust and fast is kind of contradicting ;)

Never the less you reminded me to look at the fieldbus issue in relation to the Vendor not documented adoptions :O

Keep pushing all this helps ;)

See you around
Frank

Kentster

Post by Kentster »

I have a significant interest in developing a cost effective warehouse automation with the following features.

1. General conveyor and sortation control.
2. In-motion scale that calculates both actual weight and dimensional volume.
3. Print/tamp label application system with a vacuum/blow applicator that uses commodity printer hardware such as the Intermec PM4I.
4. Carton sealing system.
5. In-motion bar code scanning.
6. Proximity sensor control.
7. API to expose sensor output for consumption by various warehouse management systems.

PLC's are typically used to manage such systems which come at a great expense. I'm not qualified to evaluate whether Xmos is a suitable platform for this type of application and I've been unable to find discussions on the topic outside the realm of PLC's.

The video at the link below shows a variety of configurations in action.

http://www.cornerstoneautosys.com/shipping-systems.htm

If anyone may be interested in collaborating on such a project, please feel free to reply to this post or send me a private message.