XHRA QSPI flash booting problem

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
fazee
New User

Post by fazee »

Thanx Louis for the words of hope :)
But the Blue Moon was in May - maybe some echoes ?

And now for trying to cut the XMOS releases comparing:
Both of our XMOS'es are 1617 (on EVB and BB). So I do not think it is a >1610 issue :).

Chris

sakage
New User

Post by sakage »

Hi all

I have XHRA-2HPA-TQ64 in two another lots.
- GT152301 : P32W22.00 (its working with IS25LQ016B and 24MHz XO)
- GT161701 : PA4M20.00 (its NOT working with IS25LQ016B and 24MHz XO)
I have problem, The operation of the QSPI is different in the two lots.
Circuit, PCB and parts is a common.

QSPI waveform
GT161701.pdf
QSPI waveform
(692.26 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
GT161701.pdf
QSPI waveform
(692.26 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
In GT161701 and observing the waveform IS25LQ016B does not appear to be in response to EBh.
Not known solution yet, I want to help someone.

Sorry for the poor English..

-----Postscript-----
I asked via digikey, about this issue.
However, XMOS has responded that GT161701 are good, and non-defective product.

-----Postscript-----
Add the more detailed data.
diference GT161701 GT152301.pdf
difference between GT161701,GT152301
(435.66 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
diference GT161701 GT152301.pdf
difference between GT161701,GT152301
(435.66 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
I checked both CLK again. There is no frequency difference between them.
However, there is a difference in the behavior of the QSPI,
In my guess, IS25LQ016 is not working by this difference.

It might have come off from the problems of the thread.
sorry.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Thanks sakage for your details.

Is the IP for this XHRA device open source and posted somewhere ?

If someone has an assembled (non-working) board with the GT161701, would like to review the operation of the QSPI device on our QSPI bus analyzer. Please ping us via private email. We can return the board(s) after the review.

Ideally, will be nice to compare against a working GT161701 current lot device assembled board as well.
matthew1

Post by matthew1 »

Dear all,

Thanks for the information on the issues you are having with the XHRA chip. It’s possible that the problems are being caused by the chip having been incorrectly programmed. We had an issue in our supply chain a couple of months ago and the wrong image was programmed onto a batch, some of which were shipped to Digikey before we realised and halted supply. From the date code, you may have received some of those.

If you have an incorrectly programmed XHRA then you would expect to see QSCLK running continually at 9.6MHz. If it’s a good XHRA then it should run at 2.4MHz for a few dozen microseconds before giving up (if it doesn’t find a programmed flash).

We’d like to sincerely apologise for the inconvenience. We asked Digikey to inform any affected customers and offer a straight swap but unfortunately you may not have received the message, so please contact Digikey who will arrange for a swap out of the affected units.

Just to clarify, this issue is not related to the design advisory XM-010316-CR covering the QSCLK running continuously. That was an improvement relating to a few rare corner cases which was also fixed in version 14.2 of the tools. It’s just unfortunate that it’s happened at about the same time!

Regards,

Matthew.
XMOS
wlodek
Member++

Post by wlodek »

Hi Matthew,
Thanks for the info. We have some other XHRA chips and hope to find working one among them. As we may be not lucky to find out quickly which one works, we will probbably get the XHRA that is working on the EVB and solder into our board and hope to give a kick out to our project which was delayed significantly . I will keep informing you guys how we are progressing.

Wlodek
fazee
New User

Post by fazee »

Dear All,
After a small investigation in our prototype production department we have found that we have:

A) 4 XMOS chpis marked as:
HPA 20C
GT 161701
PA 4M20.00
delivered to us at beginning of June 2016, when Digikey stock status = 0; We do not know from where our deliverer got them (maybe some old stock).

B) 10 XMOS chpis marked with THE SAME signs:
HPA 20C
GT 161701
PA 4M20.00
delivered to us at beginning of July 2016, when Digikey stock status was "in stock".

A) chips were transferred to production line from which 2 pcs were mounted on our BB PCBs.
- on first XMOS have 10MHzZ QSPICLK - means it is bad...

One of B) chips was re-mounted on EVB board - and works fine.
Second of B) chips was replaced on not working BB PCB and now it works fine too :):):)
(Windows found XMOS device as souncard...)
Third of them is being replaced on our second BB PCB - we will se tomorrow but we have a good hope :)

In sum: seems that we have 8 of 10 XMOS chips as Schrödinger chips :) but in present situation probability of "not working" is less that 50%, so when we collapse the wave function of chips after mounting them on PCBs, we prove impossibility of Schrödinger experiment in the macroscopic world and all of our rest 8 XMOSes WILL WORK FINE :)

Thanks once again for help.
Best regards

Chris
sakage
New User

Post by sakage »

Hi all.

My problem has been resolved.
Poor soldering of when you replace the IC, D2 terminal had become OPEN.
I have put the waveform for your infomation.
GT161701_1.pdf
(413.37 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
GT161701_1.pdf
(413.37 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
GT152301 is the combination of the Spansion Flash did not work,
In GT161701 it has been improved to operate in either of Spansion and ISSI.

I'm sorry to write a false post.
And, thank you to those who gave me a comment.