Proper FAT32 library

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
ale500
Respected Member

Post by ale500 »

exFAT support would also be nice but I think ms license and restrictions scare evryone around :(, just not me :)

Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Well i had the Fat fs from elm to run on a G4 nicely, it uses about 30KB of memory to run with all the bells and whistles like long file names and such.
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

Berni wrote:Well i had the Fat fs from elm to run on a G4 nicely, it uses about 30KB of memory to run with all the bells and whistles like long file names and such.
At the other end of the spectrum, you can take my FAT code from
http://git.infradead.org/users/segher/s ... ader/fat.c
No bells, no whistles; it has support for all FAT types and partitioned disks as
well as raw disks; no long file names since microsoft prefers us not to use those
(patent licenses, blah); and read only, no write (which is awful to do on FAT).
Tested on over a million users' SD cards.

2kB.
octal
XCore Addict

Post by octal »

segher wrote: and read only, no write (which is awful to do on FAT).
Tested on over a million users' SD cards.

2kB.
What does it mean? only ready only operations are permitted?
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

segher: What is the read speed of large data-chunks ?
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

octal: Yes, only read, it cannot write to files / create new files.

lilltroll: Read speed is pretty much as fast as you can get the data in from your device.
When multiple sectors on disk are read in-order, it can do them with one read; look
at the "extent" stuff in the source code. It keeps the current FAT/dir sector cached
as well.
dan
Experienced Member

Post by dan »

Hi all,

any update on progress re FAT32?

We're tentatively planning an application development (the SD Card filesystem browser described here: https://github.com/xcore/hw_slicekit_system).

The purpose of the app is to develop SD Card interface components including the physical link(SPI and/or SDIO), FAT32 filesystem, JPEG decoder and an LCD driver with touchscreen and a simple 2d graphics library. This then all plugs together to create a system in which you use the touchscreen to browse the SD card, display JPEG pictures and so on.

Obviously we could do a FAT32 from scratch but I am wondering if we'd be better incorporating existing work for this item, if there were a suitable offer!

Dan