Trying to load code to new hardware

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
gerrykurz
XCore Addict

Trying to load code to new hardware

Post by gerrykurz »

I am trying to load some code to a newly designed hardware platform.

The XTAG-2 cannot seem to find the L16 chip

The xTime Target error message is:

XMOS XTAG-2 connected to None [_I2U6OBg]

infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

There are two comms channels between your target and the host:

host <-> xtag <-> target chip.

The error message reported means that the host <-> xtag bit is OK, but there is no response from the target chip over JTAG. You would get the same message if XSYS (debug connection to your chip from the xtag) is disconnected.

So something fundamental is amiss here - either the chip is not correctly powered up (so JTAG TAP state machine not working) or JTAG is not connected properly (TDO/TDI/TMS/TCLK etc.).

So it's time to double check your schematics - Section G of the L16 HW manual https://www.xmos.com/download/public/XS ... 1.6%29.pdf has well tried and tested instructions for debug hookup, and section H has a comprehensive design checklist for life support signals for the chip, which needs to be met.

If you're sure schematics are OK, then continuity checking (difficult I know with this package depending on the design- some customers use xrays) is important (check for opens/shorts) and checking power supply draw/clock etc. This package does need the guidelines in section 10 to be followed.

FInally, this is worth checking http://www.xcore.com/questions/1902/wha ... ot-enabled

Good luck! Remember there are millions of boards made with this device, so it's going to be something solvable..
gerrykurz
XCore Addict

Post by gerrykurz »

OK thanks I will look at all that.

Two more questions:

What is the DEBUG line used for and is it necessary for the JTAG to work?

How does the compiler program the flash via XTAG2?
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

The debug pin is used to synchronously put multiple xcores in debug mode. JTAG will work without but if you have the real estate to get it routed to your connector, I would do it. If I recall correctly it does need a pull-up resistor.

The flash is programmed by the tools by generating and building a special flash programming application that will be loaded by the XTAG2 and executed on your target processor and takes care of the programming of the flash.
gerrykurz
XCore Addict

Post by gerrykurz »

I have checked out everything suggested. As you stated, there is no way to check continuity to the parts themselves.

I have two L16 devices on my design and I have daisy chained the TDO and TDI signals through both parts. Could this be the problem?
infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

Daisy chaining JTAG of two devices is perfectly OK - The tools will interrogate the chain and report which devices are in the chain. It's a technique we use for many internal multi-chip boards just fine.

You can see an example of chaining in the XK-1A schematic (where TDO is either forwarded to the next board if plugged in, or returned back to the X-SYS header)
https://www.xmos.com/download/public/XK ... 1.0%29.pdf

I wonder if there is a way to test continuity of the JTAG input pin connections, at least the exposed ones - perhaps you could place a high value resistor (a meg or so) pulled up to 5v on the pins to see if the ESD clamp diode does it's job. Outputs can obviously be probed/loaded with a resistor to see if they are being driven OK to the PCB.

The issue with a JTAG chain is that it only takes a single open to break it..

Perhaps also try to boot from SPI and see if CS gets asserted. Or maybe look at the supply rail currents on a scope using a shunt resistor to look for an AC component. This would at least tell you if it was being supplied OK and being clocked, which is a good start...
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

Another thing to test is if your input clock is okay. I've
had JTAG not work before, when the clock was broken
(this was on an L2). Things miraculously worked with
that fixed.
gerrykurz
XCore Addict

Post by gerrykurz »

Thanks for your suggestions, I will follow up on those today.

Segher, what do mean by input clock? The main CLK/PCU_CLK inputs or the JTAG TCK input.

I have checked the main clock, it is ok.

I have also checked with the assembly contractor and they have confirmed that the boards were x-rayed as part of the assembly process.
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

Hi Gerry,

I mean just CLK; the crystal or whatever you use.

Try to probe whatever signals you can; see if the voltages
are stable (and everything ramps up in the proper order);
check if the reset signals do something funky. Walk over
the checklists in the chip datasheet, see if you forgot
something; show us (the relevant part of) your schematics
(everything power, reset, clocks, JTAG, MODE).

And don't panic ;-)
gerrykurz
XCore Addict

Post by gerrykurz »

Discovered that the power sequencing does not meet the specification.

Working on a hardware/software work around solution.

Will post the results.......