Please, help to newbie to start!

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
AlexAdvice
XCore Addict

Please, help to newbie to start!

Post by AlexAdvice »

Hello All.
I'm a new to XMOS, but familiar with AVR, PIC, ARM, MSP.
Maybe I will ask a lot of question in the future, about XMOS programming, but now I'm lost in space with the enviroment, because I never used Eclipse!

1) I have usb-audio-20-ref-design kit with L1 CPU.
2) I've downoaded xTIME COmposer 12.2.0 (build 7741) , because I have heard that there are problems with this kit sowtware with 13.0.1
3) I've downloaded USB-Audio-2.0-Software-v6.1.zip

Now I have no idea how to open the project in the XMOS IDE. I read "The Quick Start Manual" and try to follow the instruction, but somesong is different.

My goal is at first to run this example in hardware, in debug mode, to uderstand some issues.
Then I want to replace 11Mhz crystall to 22, to get the full Fs line. Just for training.

Can somebody help me, how to start? I used Mplab, Keil and IAR, here in Eclipse everithis is totally different.

MikeIT

Post by MikeIT »

I have similar background using MPLab and many other IDE for microcontrollers. XTimeComposer it's a very good IDE. Just install the last release. It worked well for me. I had to wait for the startKit and SliceKit because they where unavailable but I was able in one week to work with the simulator, using the waveform viewer without any hardware attached (is that not amazing?). When the kit was delivered everything worked as with the simulator. Now I am litteraly in love with XMOS devices and development tools. At the beginning everyone (almost I think) need to learn XC extentions that seem limitating at first glance. It was not so easy but this is to me the only obstacle that a newbie to Multicore systems can find. Not the development system that is one of the best around.

To load a downloaded project in XTimeComposer you just need to use File->Import command. Select Exixting project into Workspace and select the zip file. The program do the rest and import the project in your Workspace.

This is my first post at XCore so grettings to all users of the forum from Italy.
AlexAdvice
XCore Addict

Post by AlexAdvice »

Hello Mike,

I did not reach the state, that I need waveform viewer :(

It is written at "Quick Start Guide":
Double-click the General option, select Existing Projects into Workspace
and click Next . (Do not select the Archive File option as this results in
different behaviour.)
But after this I cannot select .zip file!

When I do select "Archive File" - I can, so finally I have IDE with the USB Audio 2.0 Reference Design.
But - where "Find in files" in the Eclipse? How can I find the main() ?
When I see the function execution foo(); in the code, how to find the body of this function?
(Like "Go to definition..." in Keil uVision ?).

Also: I build the progect app_usb_aud_l1, then I run it and go to the Debug Perspective.
It shows "already running", but PC didn't saw the USB Sound Device.
MikeIT

Post by MikeIT »

Hi Alex,
The Waveform viewer is a feature of XTimeComposer. Perhaps you don't need it actually. You can see it later.

If you have imported a project you should see it in the project exporer that is normally on the left. The source files are normally in the source folder and sometime on the root of the project. See the .xc file.
I don't have the app_usb_aud_l1 so here I can't help you more.

Are you importing from the xSOFTip? If yes which project?

If you want to run the project on the hardware you need to open the Run Configuration (Run->Run configurations) and set the device option to run on Hardware.

Probably you are running with the simulator. You can run several program in debug perspective and until you terminate the debug they show on the left list. To close a previous debug session right click on it and "Terminate and remove"

Regards
AlexAdvice
XCore Addict

Post by AlexAdvice »

Hi Mike,
MikeIT wrote:Hi Alex,
Are you importing from the xSOFTip? If yes which project?
No, I use the reference project.
If you want to run the project on the hardware you need to open the Run Configuration (Run->Run configurations) and set the device option to run on Hardware.

Probably you are running with the simulator. You can run several program in debug perspective and until you terminate the debug they show on the left list. To close a previous debug session right click on it and "Terminate and remove"

Regards
No, I run in a HW.
When I connect the board to USB, the driver see it.
If I connect XTAG-2 to the board and Run my compiled application - the driver does not see any USB devices!

I do not make any chahges in the source files, just compile and run.
MikeIT

Post by MikeIT »

I have startKit and SliceKit so I'm afraid I can't help you more.
Perhaps someone else with the same development kit?
Regards.
AlexAdvice
XCore Addict

Post by AlexAdvice »

Thanks for your help Mike.
I will ask in the development kits part of the forum.