HID WebCamera

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
ybahou

HID WebCamera

Post by ybahou »

Hi xmos community, I am currently trying to design a HID WebCamera on XK-1.
I managed to design the descriptor device. I still learn programming the board and I need help the Endpoint0 and and the HID_Device.

Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

Can you explain what you mean by a HID web camera?

Is it a USB camera with some extra controls?
ybahou

Post by ybahou »

Thanks to reply Ross,

Well I have in a first step to initialize a Web Camera and make it work without a driver via the board XK-1A.
The Web Camera will be connected to GPIO Header with a USB cable, so I think that I need to know how to make an Endepoint0 script and also how to make report descriptor.
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

The XK-1A does not support USB, are you connecting an external USB PHY or controller to it?
ybahou

Post by ybahou »

Actually I'm using a USB port which I modified to be connected to GPIO Header.
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

In general you can't directly connect a USB cable to the GPIO pins and get USB working.
The XS1-L chip on the XK-1A supports a ULPI interface that can connect to a USB PHY (I'm not sure if all the pins needed are brought out to the GPIO).
Other possibilities are to use an external USB controller or to use a bit banged USB implementation (requires a few resistors and diodes and is usually only low-speed), these exist for some microcontrollers but no one has ported one yet to XMOS.

Some clarification about the hardware you are using would be useful.
ybahou

Post by ybahou »

I think that it's possible to be done, here you can find a picture of the project.
I already wrote the descriptor device script and what I need is how to get the report descriptor. Then I'll think about writing the Endpoint0 and the hid Web Camera scripts.
Attachments
SAM_0041.JPG
(587.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SAM_0041.JPG
(587.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mudz

Post by mudz »

Great work!! I am definitely going to subscribe this thread. Please keep updating with your work progress ybahou.
If its possible please share your code and other details like what camera you are using?

Good Luck
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

So my understanding is that you want the XMOS device to a be a USB host to the USB camera, is this correct?
ybahou

Post by ybahou »

Exactly this is what I would like to do. So please if you have any idea how to continue my work it would be great.