How to get started with startKIT

All technical discussions and projects around startKIT
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

How to get started with startKIT

Post by sethu_jangala »

Hello,

For the users who are new to XMOS development, The document Getting started with startKIT will give you more information on setting up the tools getting started with startKIT. There is also a video to help you get started.

Sethu.

Beron
New User

Post by Beron »

Just got my startKit in the mail and I worked through the tutorial.
Worked fine, looks very nice! (Although the Tic-Tac-Toe AI can use some improvement :-)

One thing that I'm wondering about though: I'm used to Arduino programming and the concept of uploading the program to the board so it can run even after I've closed the IDE program on the computer. But when I do that the program stops running immediately.

I suppose I need to flash the program to the board or something but how?

Also another thing, is there a way to power the board without the USB connection? If so what voltage is expected and wher do I connect it?

If I were to connect it to my Raspberry Pi, would it be able to power it on it's own?

Best regards,
Peter Aandahl
Sweden
AJB2K3
Member++

Post by AJB2K3 »

Beron wrote:Just got my startKit in the mail and I worked through the tutorial.
Worked fine, looks very nice! (Although the Tic-Tac-Toe AI can use some improvement :-)

One thing that I'm wondering about though: I'm used to Arduino programming and the concept of uploading the program to the board so it can run even after I've closed the IDE program on the computer. But when I do that the program stops running immediately.

Also another thing, is there a way to power the board without the USB connection? If so what voltage is expected and wher do I connect it?

If I were to connect it to my Raspberry Pi, would it be able to power it on it's own?

Best regards,
Peter Aandahl
Sweden
As to hard flashing, I do believe I did see a seperate flash button in Xtime a few icons over from the run icon.
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

Beron wrote:Just got my startKit in the mail and I worked through the tutorial.

Best regards,
Peter Aandahl
Sweden
You can program the flash memory on your startKIT either by creating a flash configuration within xTIMEcomposer (this is the lightning icon on the toolbal) or from the command line using the xflash tool. This will make the startKIT then boot your application on power up until you erase the flash where it will return to booting from the OTP loaded demo application.
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

Beron wrote:I suppose I need to flash the program to the board or something but how?
You can flash the firmware to the device by the following steps:
1. Open 'Run' (from the menu bar)
2. Select 'Flash As' option
3. Select '1 xCORE Application'
4. You can see 'xflash successful' in the console if the device is successfully flashed wight he latest firmware.
Beron
New User

Post by Beron »

Thanks for the replies guys!

I tested the flash option now, it works!

And I looked closer at the board and next to the expansion slot connection there are some holes for 3v3 and 5v and GND so I assume I can power the board by connecting my regulated power source here.

Onwards with the experiments!

Cheers!

/Peter
EdB
Member++

Post by EdB »

You should just need to connect to 5V and GND to power the board. The 3V3 is generated locally.

Ed
patolin

Post by patolin »

Hello everybody.

I just get muy board yesterday and look very powerful.

I got a question. Are the inputs 5v tolerant? I want to use a TI high speed adC that works at 5v
patolin

Post by patolin »

And anothery(silly) question, do you have any idea how fast is the included adc?
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

The startKIT is not 5V tolerant (but 3.3V).
The ADC has a resolution of 12 bits with a maximum sample rate of 1 MSPS and with a maximum input voltage of 3.3V.