XMOS Bulk USB Example Driver Error on Windows 10

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
kyle123
Member++

XMOS Bulk USB Example Driver Error on Windows 10

Post by kyle123 »

Hello All,

I was recently forced to migrate to Windows10 and have run into a roadblock with my existing project. The USB driver is now blocked by windows and reports that I should contact XMOS.

I'm currently running the XMOS USB library version 2.0. The latest version 3.0 is incompatable with the XS1-U16 hardware that I am using:( Unfortunately, the Windows10 system now blocks the old version of the XMOS drivers and suggests that I contact XMOS about obtaining an updated driver. Please see attached error message.

Any help would be fantastic as I am now completely stalled on my project!! Please advise. Most appreciative of any help you can provide.

Kyle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

kyle123
Member++

Post by kyle123 »

Hi mon2,

Unfortunately, I have already fought that battle and believe that this is something new as I've been using the device and old library for a few months without issue. My issues seems to be linked to the driver associated with the device on the new windows 10. Here is some updated information from yesterday's testing.

I tried updating to the latest XMOS USB library (v3). Unfortunately, I am having a hard time uncoupling potential driver issues with library issues in this case. Since I know that version lib_usb(v2) has been stable for my use case, I will continue to perform testing with this library. Can you suggest any debugging tests that might decouple the library from the driver? Do you have any updated drivers available for testing?

I've tried updating the drivers to use libusb1 rather than libusb0. In this case, Windows10 recognized the device and was able to get device descriptors. However, I was unable to configure the device after enumeration. I was able to read back device descriptors, manufacturer, PID, VID etc. At the very least endpoint0 appears to be functional. However, I can't return the device speed upon request or change/set any other configurations. The same behavior across several devices, so I don't think it's hardware related. I also get the same behavior using XTAG2 and XTAG3.

Finally, it appears that XMOS is moving away from the XS1-U series chip in favor of the XU/XEF flavor of devices. Can you provide any insight on whether the XS1-U will be supported for the next few years?

Thanks,

Kyle
peter
XCore Addict

Post by peter »

Hi kyle123,

It seems Microsoft are changing lots of things to do with their driver signing and we are still learning what implications that has for our drivers. In the mean time, would you be willing to use zadig to try to install a driver.

It should find the device needing the driver. You should just need to select libusb-win32 from the drop-down and it will install a libusb driver for the device.

This has worked for us on Windows 10 for other custom devices. I haven't tried it for the Bulk example yet.

Regards,

Peter
kyle123
Member++

Post by kyle123 »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response:) I've used zadig before and have already used it to assign new drivers to the device without success. When I query the device after assigning the latest libusb-win32 driver, I get an empty return...meaning no error or stall. However, no other device descriptors are available either. The most success I've had is to use the original XMOS driver. In this case, I can query the device descriptors but can no longer set configurations on the device. Attempting to set configurations results in a null descriptor type error. Perhaps the new drivers require the full speed descriptors to be set as well. I will post any new discoveries I have here.

Regards,

Kyle